Dodge command car & Bedford MW

44 cargo

I will start by showing a pic of my workshop its full of unfinished projects. The dodge is made up of three different vehicles that were just skeletons when I got them, the body tub i will have to make myself it should not be to difficult but will be time consuming. The motor I reconditioned last year and I have had problems getting clearance between the fan and radiator when trying to install the radiator and surrounds and i have just found out that the water pump I have is half an inch longer than the correct Dodge one I guess it is from a chrysler or plymouth car so just waiting for the correct one then I can mount the radiator and bonnet. and the front will be finished. The bedford came unexpected, if I didnt buy it, it would have gone to scrap so as you can see its under cover I have emptied all the water out of the steering box, cleaned some heavy rust off the chassis got the motor running after 15 years although the carburetor is not good and there is a bad oil leak at the rear seal the number on the motor starts with J1 so i guess its from the 1960s. With work stopped on the Dodge I have been cleaning up some of the Bedford parts - cheers CharlieIMG_0282.jpg

Very impressed with the dodge scuttle a lot of work there.

Pete

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your kind words, sometimes I think that someone has turned off the light at the end of the tunnel, at the moment I am working on the front panel of the bedford while I wait for the water pump for the dodge. I will post some pics when I am finished. cheers Charlie

Did you make a whole new bulk head from scratch? Looks very nice.

All the best, Richard

Hi Richard, no I didn't build from scratch the top panel was patched retaining the form on the sides and the pressed front piece where the top panel meets the firewall I had to double skin the joints to give it strength and spot weld it. I folded the edge that folds over the dash before I welded it in. cheers Charlie

• 2 weeks later...

Some pics of the front panel of the Bedford (before and after) I had to to cut out the rust in places and weld in patches which caused a lot of distortion and twisting of the panel I had to do some relief cuts and re weld using a wet towel although it took longer than i thought I am happy with the end result. The bumper was a mess when I started on it and now I am finished it still looks a mess :cry: but it will do for know. At the moment I am working on the floor of the dodge I would like to get that finished before I start back at work at the end of October. cheers CharlieIMG_0287.jpg

IMG_0286.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Charlie, I think this is your truck.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]68353[/ATTACH]

yes thats it, in the day when it had head lights, spring catches on the engine side panels and the fuel tank trays. I now know what the registration number is thanks Alex. If you are ever up this way let me know - cheers Charlie

I forgot to mention to you at the swapmeet that MW headlights are the same as Series 1 Landrover and are very similar to some Fordson Tractor headlights. We have some of the tractor headlights, I will take some photos of one beside a genuine Bedford MW one for you.

Thanks Alex thats great I have just found a Dodge ambulance (same as mash) on a farm that I will buy if the owner will part with it I don't really need another project just yet but its rare and its available so I will have to get it.

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone I have been absent from contributing to this forum for the last 18 months. I fell off a ladder and aggravated an old back injury that has had me watching a lot of TV and unable to walk, however things have improved a lot and the last 6 months I have been rehabilitating in the shed working on the MW.

I got the MW in many pieces and I was not the one that dismantled it so its been a mission getting it back together - many thanks to Fayjo and Mr Rivet and others for their pics on this forum these have help me so much, work to date has been gearbox overhaul made 1 out of 2 had the chassis and scuttle sand blasted, lower seals replaced in the motor brakes all done wheel cylinders and pads were in excellent condition, master cylinder was resleaved, rust repairs to the chassis and scuttle which had 19 holes that had to have patches welded in, some of them it was the third repair, painting and at the moment doing the wood work.

I will endeavour to post some pics - cheers Charlie.scutfin.jpg

chasbfe.jpg

enggbxfin.jpg

gboxwip.jpg

j1bfe.jpg

scutbfe1.jpg