UK & Europe regulations regarding towing a Sankey

Hi everyone.

I plan to take my Sankey expedition trailer tent around Europe next year and I was wondering if any of you know if there are any particular regulations that I should be aware of when towing around Europe?

What paperwork, if any, must I carry that relates to the Sankey?

If my Tyres (BF Goodrich All Terrain- 235/85/16) stick out a little from the side of the trailer must there be an an extra mud guard fitted?

Ta

Rock

You need to register at the ExMLRA & view this thread :-

http://forum.emlra.org/viewtopic.php?t=4149&highlight=france

Explains a fair bit of the Sankey specific complexity if you are a resident of France or Germany where trailers must be registered etc. This is as experienced by Forum members.

As a tourist - traveling through - don't know !!

?

Rock

I know in France it is illegal to tow a trailer that is wider than the vehicle doing the towing, saw the local police pull someone up in the village square and made him unhitch the trailer and would not let the trailer proceed till he obtained a wider vehicle to tow it.

But if you queue at any British ferry port bound for France you will see plent of brits with trailers that are wider than the towing vehicle and overloaded to the bargain either ignorant of the rules or dont care as I was till I saw that incident in France and also you cant plead that you dont speak French anymore as they have cottoned on to that and a lot more French Police now speak english.

Rock

I know in France it is illegal to tow a trailer that is wider than the vehicle doing the towing, saw the local police pull someone up in the village square and made him unhitch the trailer and would not let the trailer proceed till he obtained a wider vehicle to tow it.

But if you queue at any British ferry port bound for France you will see plent of brits with trailers that are wider than the towing vehicle......

Was the incident you witnessed a British vehicle? Just wondering if they enforce this only for French drivers, or unilaterally. I haven't come across this on foreign driving guidance websites before, which seems strange. Thanks.

Thank you for that advice.

I was wondering if one finds oneself with a wider trailer than the towing vehicle (in my case a Land Rover Defender) then I wonder if it's possible to make the Land Rover wider by attaching jerry can holders with jerry can in them, on either side of the Landy? This probably would not be considered acceptable by the "John Darms" in France eh? :)

All the best

Rock