Identification of Formation Sign

NORTHDUK

I have recently found some photographs of vehicles used by the 1st Bn, The Cameronians in Kenya in 1958. They wear a formation sign that I have been unable to identify and I wonder if anyone here has any idea which formation it refers to.

Both vehicles in the attached photographs are Land Rovers and it is the small, square sign that defies identification.

All suggestions gratefully received!

Gordon McLaughlin

E AFRICA LR CROP.jpg

LAND ROVER SRS1 60BP39 of 1st Bn CAMERONIANS KENYA CROP.jpg

The formation sign appears to be that of the 24th. infantry Brigade which post WWII became (I think) the 24th. Air mobile brigade It was in the colours of the brigade of Guards, dark blue background with dark red wings on a red, blue bar. I have one in my collection but cannot put pictures on here but will email picture if you want one, John. If you go into ebay u.k. in the search box and put in 110933570562 you will see the badge I have tried to describe. John.

Edited by Blackpowder44

I can't help with the sign but let's see more of your Land-Rover photos please.

Thanks for your reply.

The photographs are not mine. Rather than breach someone's copyright, I'll give links to the web pages on which I found them:

http://www.mccrow.org.uk/eastafrica/JanetDavis/JanetBW1.htm

http://www.edwardboyle.com/EB/RAPC/RAPCmisc/Cameronians/Douglas%20Torrance/Douglas%20Torrance.htm

In both cases, you need to scroll down till you find them.

Gordon McLaughlin

The formation sign appears to be that of the 24th. infantry Brigade which post WWII became (I think) the 24th. Air mobile brigade It was in the colours of the brigade of Guards, dark blue background with dark red wings on a red, blue bar. I have one in my collection but cannot put pictures on here but will email picture if you want one, John. If you go into ebay u.k. in the search box and put in 110933570562 you will see the badge I have tried to describe. John.

Thanks for your reply.

I think you may be right about 24th Bde. The suggestion from Diver99 that it might be 70th (East Africa) Infantry Bde is also interesting but their infantry seem to have been confined to battalions of the King's African Rifles. I don't have any other photographs of the sign, unfortunately.

Gordon McLaughlin