Lack of power (series 3 land rover 1980)

Ian Dunn

Please can anyone help

I was driving to an event the other night, on the dual carriageway at 50mph all was well but as soon as i got caught in traffic and slowed down the engine lost power and died, i managed to get it going twice but on the third time ..no go, and then back home courtesy of the AA.

by the way I am getting plenty of fuel through.

Ian

Ian have you tried it since? Does it now run at all?

I tend to think of faults in capacitor, points, coil, rotor arm, plugs, lead insulation breakdown.

Can you remove the whole ignition system lock stock & barrel? If you bring it to Cobbaton this weekend I will be there & can have a range of equipment to test all the components in your system.

Hi Clive

I have now taken all original ignition system off, I could not get anything out of it.

I am going to put conventional dizzy etc onto it (the FFR is going back to my daughter at the end of the season and i think it would be easier for her that way.

By the way which terminal on the coil goes to the Dizzy is it the positive ?

Thanks

Ian

PS i cant make it to Cobberton as the Land Rover is my only transport as the wife has the car....

FFR'ers need quick diagnostics at the road-side that the AA can't provide , obviously you pulled off the air inlet hose to confirm carb is fuelling , then :-

4 qty. sparkplugtester_200.jpg

IMG_0873.jpg

If not sparking like Blackpool , change condenser quick , after that - AVO / test lamp out time.

Carry a cheapo , 12 volt condenser - adapted earlier to mount (pukka 24 volt are far to expensive & same capacitance)..

By the way which terminal on the coil goes to the Dizzy is it the positive ?

Nope the negative, assuming that the coil is a 10v Rover.

Be aware that there are screened coils around that look identical for use on a few vehicles of the 1950s eg Rovers (!), Austins, Commers etc that were screened 12v & positive earth.

Unfortunately terminals being identified as SW & CB is not very helpful as the coil polarity type is marked sticky tape. Anyway that is a side issue, it isn't the cause of your breakdown if it was running ok before :)