1970,s Tropical dpm trouser sizing.

boots dms

I'm afraid I don't have the relevant VAOS/COSA sections. But I do have the height, waist & seat measurements that relate to various other trousers that might give a very rough idea how sizes are structured. But of the various types of trouser comparing just one size can give variations of a couple of inches here & there. I can post some examples of size structures if you want.

I'm afraid I don't have the relevant VAOS/COSA sections. But I do have the height, waist & seat measurements that relate to various other trousers that might give a very rough idea how sizes are structured. But of the various types of trouser comparing just one size can give variations of a couple of inches here & there. I can post some examples of size structures if you want.

Hi

Thanks, that would help. The measuements are all similar ie waist , the legs of two have been elasticated so difficult to tell original length.I was really just curious how the sizing system worked,as it seems more complicated than the tropical jackets/shirts and the ,for example, 68 pattern sizing I am more familiar with.

Thanks.

This is a selection of just a few of the trouser sizing arrangements. You will see significant variation so size number is very specific to the particular trouser. The first example doesn't seem to take account of length!

App3264Large.jpg

App3262Large.jpg

App3263Large.jpg

App3265Large.jpg

My August 86 dated Section CG (combat clothing) QM catalogue lists the DPM tropical strides in sizes 1 (8415 99 132 3770) to size 23 (NSN ending in 3792, plus "special size" 3793) but infuriatingly does not list any fitting measurements.......>:(

However, it does list the matching tropical jacket in 13 (metric) sizes plus "special" and gives the measurements (heights 150 to 160 in 3 widths, 160 to 170 the same, 170 to 180 the same, and 180 to 190 the same....plus "special".....chest starts at 88cm through to 112cm).......:-D

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your input,I seem to recall also (correct me if I,m wrong) that the very first issue of trousers mens lightweight used the 1 to 23 size method before changing to the now familiar metric. There must have been quite a size range using this method.

Thanks.

I have never understood why they are so keen with measurements such as the arse anyway as you were generally given a quick look up an down and thrown whatever the QM deemed would fit you so they could have saved a lot of hassle and money by making them in less choice of sizes!!!!

I have never understood why they are so keen with measurements such as the arse anyway as you were generally given a quick look up an down and thrown whatever the QM deemed would fit you so they could have saved a lot of hassle and money by making them in less choice of sizes!!!!

Very true,and if you use elastics on the bottoms it did,nt matter anyway leg length wise.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your input,I seem to recall also (correct me if I,m wrong) that the very first issue of trousers mens lightweight used the 1 to 23 size method before changing to the now familiar metric. There must have been quite a size range using this method.

Thanks.

You are quite correct...........size range changed around 1980-81 ish........I might have the TML list in my papers........

Maybe things have changed, but back in my day you weren't given much (eg - any) opportunity to be measured or to try garments on in the QM store........some complete lazy arse behind the counter, after putting his brew and copy of The Sun down (and his fag), he glanced at you and invariably threw the nearest item at you.......and if it didn't fit.....tough !!! It was even worse if you were rather large, as you usually ended up with the biggest item available that generally swamped you.........we seemed to sort out most of our gear amongst ourselves by swapping in the block (or swapping in the drying room...:D).........

Strangely, most guys in my unit ended up with size 1 or 2 68 pattern combats.........:undecided: