Help!! Insurance for MOBAT

I've insured my MVs with Footman James since 2005 and thought it would be easy to add the MOBAT to my policy but they won't insure it!!

I tried the 'like a trailer' route, ie just pulled to shows behind the Champ, but they couldn't / wouldn't help.

I'm not keen to have ££££s worth of gun uninsured - any ideas?

Peter,

I know very little about MOBATs, but are they braked? If not (I seem to remember they have a simple towing eye at the end of the barrel), and it's over 750kg, then you may have troubles for other reasons - have search under 'braked trailer' for more details. Here are a couple of results:

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?12222

hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?19607

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your help chaps - I've now managed to get the MOBAT insured!!

Having been told that Footman James wouldn't insure me, I tried a local broker - £400 !! :nut:

I then tried Premium Choice (www.premiumchoice.co.uk) who now own Roadsure (thanks Roger!) and even though it wasn't the friendliest customer service I've ever experienced, the guy knew what I was talking about and the quote was £253 for the Champ (fully comp, value £6500, 4500 miles a year, garaged at home) and the MOBAT (value £8000, kept in a locked barn on a farm). Personally I don't think that's too bad!!

I shoot various old rifles and on one of my associations forums the subject of firearms insurance came up; it would appear that NFU were the most helpfull when it came to insuring firearms. (I accept that a Mobat is bigger than a No4 Lee Enfield)

And that included the storage of black powder as well!