Snatch gearbox problem

simon in a 432

Hi, I've got a problem with the LT 85 gearbox in my snatch land rover. I've sorted a couple of problems with the snatch and can now drive it about but I can't get it into reverse, I can push the lever down and fully across to the left but it won't go up into reverse. I've spoken to a couple of people and they think it could be a selector shaft problem - A couple of questions that someone can hopefully answer- has anyone else had a similar problem and if it is a selector shaft problem and it be fixed without removing the gearbox?

Thanks

Simon.

At the bottom of the gear lever there may be 2 springs or a selector plate which on civy discos/defenders do break,

very obvious if they are. normally the lever goes striaght into the box not via linkage.

regards,

Rob

There can be an easy answer. Check that the gear stick where it is attached to the top of the selector is properly positioned. Had the same problem after changing the relaease fork on my Disco. The gate can also be wrongly positioned not to give enough clearance. The transmission tunnel is quite a tight tolerance, that can interfere. The roll pin through the bottom of the gear lever can wear and cause a lot of slopping. Even the gear stick itself may not have enough bend and stick. The spring may also not be allowing the gate to come up, and just plain dirt in the linkage. All the silly things I've come across.

• 1 year later...

Hi, after a long while it's time for a little update and some more questions.

I managed to get the gearbox sorted last year using a large metal bar -last option before dropping the gear box out was to apply lots of force with a scaffolding pole and it worked - got it in and out with bar and now it works normally.

Sadly after a bit more work an electrical problem developed but as summer is on the way I thought it was time to get back to the restoration.

The issue is when I try and start the engine everything goes dead for about 10 seconds or until I remove the battery connection - could it be a faulty relay or is it a problem with the wiring or starter motor?

Photo1053_zpsd398e49c.jpg

Regards

Simon.

I had this sort of stupid problem on my Dodge. It went, was switched off and refused to start! First time in 10 plus years! The answer was easy , dirty earth! I'd take the earth lead off and clean thouroughly, even if it seems tight and clean. Mine was, I checked it beacuse I could'nt think of anything else . A set of new battrey connectors might help. Starter motor connectors are another problem, same rules apply, they can look OK, I had this on my old Range Rover, clean and add a couple of anti shake washers.

Edited by Tony B

• 2 weeks later...