paint aluminium

redsandrew

From what I know from research and only how I plan to approach the very same project, and to do it right the first time based on my own personal standard - It is important to clean bare metal thoroughly with a mineral spirit before using etch-primer (I have been told petrol works, but in my humble opinion, it still isn't 'pure' enough to risk using it); AFTER dry-wiping it down real well to remove any 'fine debris' left over from the process of 'burnishing any built up oxidation off of it', ie. fine steel wool. Then power-rinse it off real well. Then wash and rinse again. Then after all that, use the mineral spirit and then your primer of choice. It might sound trivial; but micro-fibers can get stuck in the small grooves within the soft metal itself - dry wiping with multiple clean soft "baby-diaper cloth' rags removes the bulk of it, power rinse blows out the finer particles, and off course washing will clear residuals. Another common mistake when getting prepared to paint; if one plans to roll it on (me), is to mix the tin by shaking it, which causes unnecessary air bubbles - it is best to store the tin upside down overnight to allow the heavier components to 'come to the top' per say, thus making it easier to mix once righted - then carefully stir it with a 'big tongue depressor' type stick - I will also use this technique to roll my Landy. Because the self-etching primer, (as well as regular primer), has a chemical reaction to the bare aluminum itself, it is also important to get the over-paint on it as soon as possible once fully cured - when you see a vehicle go down the road in the rain that is 'primered', that person wasted their time - for the oxidation process will begin under the primer no matter how thick they layered it on - any body work such as flexible body filler, spray filler, B*ndo; or the like can go over the S-E primer, just not suggested on bare aluminum (it can, it just won't hold real well and will eventually 'pop' off) - But; it is necessary to use a self-etching primer prior to any painting, or more priming, on bare aluminum - if you are painting over previously painted areas, a light sand/scratching will do. In closing - please research further and come up with your own notions on how to proceed further - this is just what I have gathered and how I plan to attack my ' 75 MoD 109' FFR - And please; further input or suggestions always helpful and or corrections if the above information is wrong and or can be improved upon. - J.D. Davis - Prescott, Arizona - hope this helps...

thanks but we don't have in Italy this "sugar soap"...I am looking in wikipedia but seams no traslation....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_soap

get the St Marc brand from France then, afterall you are neighbours so should support each other :D

as for etch primer this appears to be an Italian company that sells it

http://www.lechler.eu/on-line/Home/Infotecnicheedisicurezza/Industry/Prodotti/iartCatWashPrimereFondiPoliestere.1001403.500.100.html

thanks but we don't have in Italy this "sugar soap"...I am looking in wikipedia but seams no traslation....

I've also used ordinary clothes washing powder in the past. That worked well, got all the muck off and keyed the paint at the same time. I can't tell you what Sugar Soap is, it is a generic name I've not been able to find a formula. It is sold in UK at DIY shops as a surface cleaner/ paint preperation, either as a powder or ready mixed. It is just a standard surface preperation.