"General Stuart" RAC

Bruce Newsome

At last some one who has delved into the brilliant Alanbrooke diaries. I am afraid that I don't know who Stuart was but he was not alone by being relieved of his duties by AB and Churchill. For those on the Forum who have not read these diaries doing so will open your eyes to how Churchill was guided by AB for the good of the war effort. AB had a lot to contend with

dealing with the mercurial Churchill, it was a good job that he was in the position of CIGS, I cannot think of any one else who could have handled Churchill............

Tim

A good buy at £6, Its not a book that can be read in a short while, I took over 4 months reading it very slowly. There is a lot to take in but I am sure you will come to the conclusion that AB was a genuine asset to the direction of the war.

There is lot about dealing with the Americans who would agree to a course of action and then not carry out the agreement.

It should be 'required reading' for those who are genuinely interested in the war and not relying on a Sky documentary for their knowledge as seems to be the case nowadays..........

Can anyone identify a person named "Stuart" of the RAC who Alan Brooke (CIGS) dmissied from his job on 9 December 1941? Brooke refers to "Stuart of the Armoured Corps" in his diaries; the editors indexed the person as "General Stuart".
This could be John Burnett-Stuart (Brooke often misspelt names), but he retired in 1938. Does anyone know if he was recalled?

• 5 months later...

Bob

Still working my way through this and thoroughly enjoying it, a brilliant read, although took me a while to get into it. I would agree with your assessment of Alanbrooke, a great man whose contribution to the war effort has been sadly underrecognised!

But no Im afraid I still dont know who Stuart was!

Cheers

Tim

• 1 year later...

Well at long last I have finished! But the great thing about these diaries is that you can dip in and out as the mood takes you. Thoroughly recommended and a really different take on WW2 from somebody very close to the top. Whenever I see a picture of Churchill now I always study it closely and more often than not Alanbrooke is a constant (but unacknowledged) presence in the background...

Stuart remains an enigma and despite a good trawl through the internet no further reference found...

Cheers

Timbo

Well at long last I have finished! But the great thing about these diaries is that you can dip in and out as the mood takes you. Thoroughly recommended and a really different take on WW2 from somebody very close to the top. Whenever I see a picture of Churchill now I always study it closely and more often than not Alanbrooke is a constant (but unacknowledged) presence in the background...

Stuart remains an enigma and despite a good trawl through the internet no further reference found...

Cheers

Timbo

I am glad that you found it informative, I intend to re-read it later this year.