When did the nato numbering system come into use

ferrettkitt

It is very difficult to find out when it applied to the UK. From research I did a few years ago I think it was in 1956 that the UK ratified the agreement to adopt STANAG 3150 & 3151 with full implementation intended by 1965.

From the late 1950s NSNs started to appear in parts lists & Vocabulary of Army Ordnance Stores (VAOS). However full implementation seemed to take longer as I have some VAOS dated 1979 that still has uncodified items.

There was no sharp defining line between the demise of VAOS & the introduction of the Catalogue of Army Ordnance Stores (COSA).

The earliest COSA I have is 1970 yet as I mentioned VAOS was still around until at least 1979.

I think the factor was that once a vocabulary listed all items that were NATO codified, then it assumed the title as a COSA.

I would be interested to know if anyone has a VAOS later than 1979 to try to define when full NATO codification had actually taken place (as far as the Army goes).