58 Webbing Thread !

wdbikemad

In response to Scotch Harry's suggestion.....a 58 webbing thread :)

Let's start with the collectibles.......

1st pattern ammo pouches (smaller, sit vertically, and have inner retaining straps to secure contents)......very early issues also have small metal inserts in the side of the lids to retain the shape....

1st pattern Yokes........(no sewn strips across the padded yoke sections to help retain the large pack straps).....and very early issues have a press-stud securing arrangement for the pick or shovel handle.....

1st pattern kidney pouches......(lack the secondary QR straps to secure the pouches to the yoke straps)....and very early issues have the metal corners on the lids to keep shape.....

1st pattern large packs......(different tabs on the strap ends)....

1st pattern waterbottles and mugs.....in green, rather than black.......I have a green bottle, but never seen a mug....did they exist in green rather than black...? :D

1st pattern Yokes........(no sewn strips across the padded yoke sections to help retain the large pack straps).....and very early issues have a press-stud securing arrangement for the pick or shovel handle.....

I know it has been mentioned in that webbing book(no pics) but has anyone ever seen one in the flesh so to speak or even in pics as i cannot think how a press stud would secure a pick or shovel handle????

I have 2 of the yokes without the large pack attachment strips but both have the LTD stud.

1st pattern waterbottles and mugs.....in green, rather than black.......I have a green bottle, but never seen a mug....did they exist in green rather than black...? :D

I served in the R.E. for the best part of twenty years, during the time when 58 pattern the webbing to be seen in, and I don't recall ever seeing anyone with a green 58 mug. Plenty of green bottles, but the mugs were always black.

As for the pick axe bit on the yoke, only the helve, or handle should fit. The large end should clip in, and then it hangs vertically down the wearers spine. The pick head fits accross the top of the poncho "bum" roll. Neither of which were very comfortable.

How about posting up the pictures so that we can see the differences between early and late 58 pattern webbing.

Not from me at present, sadly...:-( I struggle to get pictures up on this Forum (system locks up on the few occasions I've tried).....in any case, I only have early ammo pouches, waterbottle & carrier (no green mug !!)....and it's buried over 30 miles away in store........best source is Simon Howlett's two books on post war webbing......