Scam Attempt !! Beware!!

alixcompo

Having posted several wanted ads on various sites I now have a guy aledgedly in the USA offering me exactly the parts I need for $600. He has cut and pasted bits of my ads from this site and Milweb to provide an aparently plausable spiel.

I know that some of us are desperate for parts but we can avoid this if we are careful.

If it wasn't for a spelling mistake I made in an ad which then appeared as confirmation in answer to a detailed question then I probably would have gone for it.

Having posted several wanted ads on various sites I now have a guy aledgedly in the USA offering me exactly the parts I need for $600. He has cut and pasted bits of my ads from this site and Milweb to provide an aparently plausable spiel.

I know that some of us are desperate for parts but we can avoid this if we are careful.

If it wasn't for a spelling mistake I made in an ad which then appeared as confirmation in answer to a detailed question then I probably would have gone for it.

That is the reason never to put a phone number or email in an HMVF advert, if advertised on here then only members can contact you, with Milweb they don't have a secure messaging system & most people put their phone number.

First thing to do when you receive mail that may be suspicious is to look at the email headers/message source, get the originating IP Address & do an IP search to see which country it was sent from, you can then see if it matches the country they claim to be in. Also only reply if they have a landline number, again it confirms which country they are in. Always speak to the seller buyer, two seconds ofn the phone will give things away, usually their accent. Also you can ask to see more photos, say from a certain angle.. they won't have them as the only ones they have got are ones lifted from adverts.

You can also search bank sort codes & account numbers online to see where the cash is going.

One of our members lost a large amount of money recently in a scam

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?30216-Stollen-Welbike

We are very careful to keep the scammers out but they are always one step ahead & one may slip in, that is why we remove adverts or replys to wants in the classifieds if a member has not posted a FULL Introduction. If a member contacts you & hasn't made any posts or an Introduction let us know & we will check them out again.

There is also this on Milweb http://www.milweb.net/place_ad/scam.php

Edited by Marmite!!

Hi Guys ,

Short version

I recently posted on the forum for bits for my dodge wc and had a quick response from a chap called Richard Woollaston who claimed he had the bits I needed in California. I asked him for details and pics and he sent me pics from a google image search. I became suspicious and acted dumb , eventually resulting in him sending me his bank account details (in the name of Lee Adamson ) at Lloyds in Gravesend and calling me this morning to ask when I was going to make the payment !

Local police not bothered because no funds transferred.

Just because youre not paranoid doesnt mean they're not out to get you

Caveat Emptor

Thor Nogson

Hi Guys ,

Short version

I recently posted on the forum for bits for my dodge wc and had a quick response from a chap called Richard Woollaston who claimed he had the bits I needed in California. I asked him for details and pics and he sent me pics from a google image search. I became suspicious and acted dumb , eventually resulting in him sending me his bank account details (in the name of Lee Adamson ) at Lloyds in Gravesend and calling me this morning to ask when I was going to make the payment !

Local police not bothered because no funds transferred.

Just because youre not paranoid doesnt mean they're not out to get you

Caveat Emptor

Thor Nogson

That's why you should never put your email address or telephone number on the forum..

It would seem that this kind of scam isn't uncommon.

Yeah we are all desperate for parts and me for one should have thought that my vehicle was probably never export to the USA but I need those spares. It makes me very vulnerable if only for the sake that so many honest (genuine) people have contacted me to try and help.

Take care

• 2 weeks later...

Same here- this was a guy who contacted me with exact part (engine block) I was looking for -so I googled his email address and name etc to find out it came up as a scammer who does same over many forums etc -so it was dropped suddenly. NOTE I sent a nearby but non related postcode to see if he would send more info or shipping costs etc, never did. When you google the given home address it comes up first with this - http://user.xmission.com/~daina/autoscamlist/sinfo_0000772.html

It seems he must live with loads of other scammers with different names etc in a flat- must be cosy- when I told him I live not too far away (lie) and I could call round in person to collect (lie) -never got reply about this - and when I pointed out he was a known scammer and con merchant that has a profile on interpol and the international crime fraud websites (another lie) he came back saying he didn't understand - then I told him as he contacted me through an official MOD website (lie) and the SAS and British intelligence were VERY interested in his IP and other internet data and that they would be in touch soon (lie) etc. so as I keep stringing him along and tying up his email by replying to me I hope it stops him trying to dupe someone else. So if in doubt chgeck them out- google and other engines great for highlighting the scammers -best keep to word of mouth or known contacts, repuitable firms or via protected sites that guarantee reimbursement etc - best of all cash on collection, then you can drop him if you don't like or get what is promised lol.

His last email was

Yes your mailing address as been noted down and will ship it as soon

as payment is confirmed,the block is in a good condition.

i would have show you some pictures of it,but my server has be down

and faulty and has not help me in sending pictures,but i can assure

you that,there is a guarantee that if it is not what you are looking

for,it will be ship back to me on my own cost...it that is ok by you

then here is my payment details.

Here is my payment details Please proceed with payment via any of the

Western Union outlet to with the below information -

Full Names: Kenneth Author

Address:Flat 17, 125C, Clapton Common, London, E5 9AB UK.

Amount to send:

E-mail to me the below information from your Western Union payment

receipt for confirmation -

Sender's Name:

Address:

MTCN # :

Amount sent:

I will e-mail to you a tracking number and other shipping information

once payment is confirmed.

Many thanks again and regards

--

your ad specifies that you need some items,get back to me if you are