1977 Type Para Smock?

Enfield1940

Hi,

I decided to have a gamble on this indifferently photographed and well used Para smock on eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160781963962?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Is it a 1977 type? It has a green backed zip and the press studs look decidedly Newey-ish to me.

It also appears to have had the epaulettes removed - any idea why?

Cheers,

Mark

I's agree with the early issue Mark.....the emerald-green cotton backed zip is always a good clue, as is the small darkish-green cotton label usually suggesting H E Textiles or similar........also, no FFD pocket on the right sleeve suggests pre-83/84....

Not sure why the epaulettes have gone.....but on a baggy para smock worn by a non-officer they are a pretty useless feature and a snag-risk.......and on the average para smock they rarely sit on the shoulder !

Well it is a 1977 type with the Newey hardware, but sadly it's well hammered and it has a less desirable metric label. (Extremely faded) I think - compared to the circa 1977-81 and circa 1984-87 Para Smocks I own - it may be made of cotton-modal rather than cotton-sateen fabric. Interestingly though, a couple of the pockets are made of the 'dotty' DPM.

It's very difficult nowadays to find the early-issue para smocks in a decent condition.....and they were never as common as the general issue 68 pattern that can be fairly easily and cheaply found......

Best sources today, in my humble opinion, are the military shows where the odd item can still be found for often very reasonable prices....only last week, my near-new 66-dated size 8 60 pattern in green for a tenner shows that things can still be found.....but if that were Ebay....well, a fair bit more to pay.....:-\