what they carrying then????????

RattlesnakeBob

Question

A simple but to me very baffling question.......:-)

Many years ago much was made of the fact that the Vietcong went into battle carrying nothing much more than his weapon , as much ammo as he could lift ...and a bag of rice........the little fellas were always amazed at the amount of gear a US soldier was expected to hump into the woods and I would have guessed rightly so........

fast forward a good few years and I was watching a news item from Afghanistan last night.....there's the Taliban fellas looking much the same as a Vietcong did 40 or more years ago..an AK47.a few spare mags and that was about it.......

and there.........sweating their nuts off is a British Patrol.......looking to me like they were carrying enough kit for a 3 month camping trip to the Brecon Beacons....loaded right up they were and with a whacking great big backpack..

so ..my question is........why the hell do they carry so much gear????????

Now......

.......if they are out on a patrol that is intended to 'stay out' for a week or so I could understand it....

...but these guys were out on a 'circular' patrol from their firebase ....and heading in a general fashion back to the firebase by the end of the same day......

....so ........... what the hell is in those whacking great big back packs and all that belt gear???

the way I see it is ( and as always ...I am ready to be properly corrected)

why would they need to carry anything more than.

A weapon and a load of ammo

A knife

A water bottle

A few high energy snack bars and chocolate etc

A medical pack.

and finally....maybe a couple of grenades?

I understand that they all carry comms gear these days but surely the modern kit doesn't take up all that much room???...

..do they really need to be so loaded up for a days patrol? Only asking ......:-)..

3 answers to this question

Well the medics pack is probably not far off the size of the bergans anyway as they carry a fair bit of bulky stuff, inclusive off drips etc ( thats the reason so many of the very badly hit guys make it to the choppers)

The water situation is dire and a water bottle does not do it, most have got camel backs, penalty on that of course is water is heavy so you sweat more, bit of a circle.

Spare bits and pieces for the coms, batts etc.

Scads of ammo, your own in the pouches, extra, and extra for the support weapons. nosh for the day. Defensive electronics need i say more on that one. Kit for the sweeps to check the route. Dog biscuits for the search dog, not taking the mick with that one( look after him/her your life may depend on it) Quite possible some demolition gear if dictated.

Soon mounts up i can tell you.

Guys out on the ground soon learn what they need and what they dont, if you do get cought out and get away with it on that occasion, lesson learnt and its in the bag. The dangerous thing is when the bosses dont control it if it gets out of hand. Pack horse time and you are no good to anyone.