Weasel expired.

Degsy

Had the weasel out this morning for my mate and his father to get a bit of practice but after an hour or so it expired and refused to restart. It had started to run a bit rough but giving it a blast on the throttle would clear it but produced a cloud of black smoke. I had been a bit suspicious that it might be running a bit rich but hadn't investigated. When it stopped out in the fields we whipped the top off the carb but there was nothing obviously wrong, didn't want to strip it further where it was so checked a plug for spark, that was ok but as black as a witches tit. Spent most of the afternoon dragging it onto my trailer with a portable winch which is in all truth not man enough for the job and I haven't got round to getting a snatch block for it so my own bloody fault. Will bring it down to a mates garage this week as he is a real whizz on carbs and hopefully sort it properly.

It's probably the carb, but you don't have one of those self-sealing rubber fuel tanks do you ? Surely modern petrol would just melt those in short order.

I'm in the market for one Weasel wiper motor and a hand primer pump if you have any spares. I need them for my T-36.

I was sure I had a spare motor and primer, kept from when I sold my four and bought a sensible Sno-Cat ( sensible = track sections you can weld up, or even fabricate ) but I can't find them now that I need them.

Hi Gordon, no, it's a steel tank fortunately. I've actually got a pair of NOS wiper motors still boxed but I haven't decided yet whether to fit them or just go with the manual one I have. I don't know what sort of price you had in mind but I have to say these were very expensive. I need an arm and blade for the manual wiper, do you know if a jeep one will fit although it carries a different part no?

Thanks anyway, I remember the jeep ones were different, but not how. I did manage to find the little pivot section that takes the wiper action through under the screen - just need to remember where I put the motor and primer now. If you see any motors for sale I'd appreciate the tipoff.

The steel tank is a lot less grief. I'm not sure if the car carburettor rebuild kit will do - I know that carb number is specific to the Weasel but suspect it is a basic car carb adapted Of course the M29C.org people will know.

Ooops - I see you were talking about the MANUAL wiper - a jeep one may well do for that.

You'd probably want to fit the motors - if you have the dash wiring and plug-in bits - so long since I dealt with mine I can't remember the wiring layout exactly.

At one time there were dozens in Scotland, now all gone. Last one I saw was a hulk up at Andrew Allan's place near Garve but that was years back. At least now you can get new track bands - the lack of which was a big factor in me moving to a Sno-Cat.

I only have the motors and a link and my screen is not drilled which is the reason for not having fitted them. I think I will probably just go with the manual wiper and a potato:D if so I will definitely let you know. Thanks for the confirmation on the arm and blade.

... I don't know what sort of price you had in mind but I have to say these were very expensive. I need an arm and blade for the manual wiper....

Must be a Welsh thing. In monetary terms would that be more, the same, or less than the more commonly used phrase "I want an arm and a leg for it"?

Must be a Welsh thing. In monetary terms would that be more, the same, or less than the more commonly used phrase "I want an arm and a leg for it"?

Haha, that's funny.

Then again, the Welsh are a different breed.

Cymru am bith

Well unlike virtually every other WW2 vehicle I've ever owned the wiper motor system on a Weasel is very good and very useful, so I'd encourage you to find the odds and ends.

Memory tells me there is only the motor, with its little plug and socket, link arm, through-the-panel pivot, and arm and blade. I think the only serious part you are missing is the through-the-panel pivot which has to be reasonably easy to get ( as opposed to the motors, for example )

I only have one, which I need, but I could photograph it for you if you want?

I am not trying to make a profit on them, they were imported from the USA and I will have to check on the cost and if I decide to sell I will give you first refusal at the price paid.

Well unlike virtually every other WW2 vehicle I've ever owned the wiper motor system on a Weasel is very good and very useful, so I'd encourage you to find the odds and ends.

Memory tells me there is only the motor, with its little plug and socket, link arm, through-the-panel pivot, and arm and blade. I think the only serious part you are missing is the through-the-panel pivot which has to be reasonably easy to get ( as opposed to the motors, for example )

I only have one, which I need, but I could photograph it for you if you want?

Thanks for that Gordon, I will have to check the boxes of spares I have to see exactly what I have got but I suspect that I may have just one link. I will let you know as soon as I can find the time to check.

You realise that you could be doing yourself out of a wiper motor by encouraging me to fit them.:D

I am not trying to make a profit on them, they were imported from the USA and I will have to check on the cost and if I decide to sell I will give you first refusal at the price paid.

I'm sure nobody would think you would - I just couldn't resist the play on words. Please accept my apologies since it came across not as intended.

:n00b: Pass another cwt of potatoes please......

Hey Tony, no need to apologise, it made me smile because those were the words I nearly typed and I took it in the spirit that was intended. On reflection I could have worded my reply better, it does appear to be somewhat abrupt which I had not intended.

Degsy, if you have two, - fit them, but if you decide to part with any spare I'll be here.

Bottom line would be you might want to keep two as you can always change your mind. If you see any others, though ....

Price is no big deal as I'm only after one and not planning on selling it again. I seem to remember the little self-parking circuitry tends to stick so even NOS units might require a little light lubricate and tinker to get them performing as they should.

Gordon

Gordon, at the moment I'm not really thinking too much about the wipers as we're just too busy between the farm and the contracting to spend time on all the jobs that are on the list before A and E which due to time constraints looks to be the first event this year. If anything turns up I will let you know.

Managed to find time to remove the carb and get it on the bench, stripped it and found several loose screws etc but the fault causing the problem was a loose seating on the main jet thus allowing it to flood.Rectified this, gave the carb a thorough cleaning, reassembled and refitted to Weasel. Started first time, made a few minor adjustments and it ran perfectly. Gave it a quick run round a few tracks and now running better than ever.

End time: 23 Apr 2012 00:25:24 GMT+01:00

iPhone URL:

WW2 military M29 M29C T24 weasel hand operating windshield wiper arm srudebaker

Browser URL:

Download eBay Mobile

Sent from my iPhone

End time: 23 Apr 2012 00:25:24 GMT+01:00

iPhone URL:

Browser URL:

Download eBay Mobile

Sent from my iPhone

I've got bids in on those too, as I realised that my T-36 needs one hand-operated wiper as well, and I'm going to assume the Weasel one is correct ( the electric wiper was the Weasel one )