Whatever happened to Mack NM ANNIE?

David I

Hi all,

I wonder if any of you know what happened to a WW2 truck which used to be owned by the company my Father used to work for.

My Father worked as a road roller driver for Kings & Co. Earlston, Scottish Borders, from the late 60s until his retirement in the mid 90s. During all of that time Kings, laterly part of the Tarmac Group, had a Mack NM as their recovery vehicle. It was seldom used but kept in tip top condition and in fact had a spare chassis, wheels and axles, and gearbox stored along side it.

The truck wasn't modified much, just the rear body cut down, and a jib fitted. it also had a hard top cab, well fitted so looked original. There was a proper metal nameplate on the front with ANNIE on it. It was painted in Kings brown livery long after all their other vehicles were in Tarmac colours. Eventually, it also succomed to corporate livery.

When Kings Earlston depot closed the Mack was transferred to the yard at Gilmeron, Edinburgh. During the late 90s my father enquired and it was still there, but Tarmac have since closed that yard as well.

Given that this vehicle was in such a good condition and with plentiful spares up until around twelve years ago, it could well have made it into preservation.

So , did it survive, and if so where is it now? Any thoughts?

Dave.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Interested in the Mack you mentioned, my family had twelve in the '50's, any idea of the reg number? and also you mentioned the body was cut down, what type of body? was it rounded like a chariot?

Thanks

Charles Chipp'

• 4 months later...

"Annie's" registration was GGG812. I have a photo in Tarmac livery. On my visits to Edinburgh I have tried several Tarmac sites but no-one j=knows where it went.

It probably started life as a snowplough but GGG records don't exist and I have found no record of Glasgow buying Macks.

Still odd things turn up so I will keep going.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies.

The recovery body wasn't chariot type. It was the standard body, but with a bit of a diagonal cut to it, if that makes sense.

It might also have been slightly shortened, but it was difficult to tell as the wheels and the rear body are fairly level at the back.

I didnt know the registation number, so thats a bit further forward. Many of Kings vehicles were glasgow registered. I remember that one of the tippers in the late 70s was AGG 1S. Always thought that this would be more suited to a butcher!

Would there be any chance of posting the picture of it in Tarmac livery?

Thanks

Dave.