Austin 10

JEEP 44

Hi

I have a wreck of an Austin Tilly , and am hoping to one day restore it . Would an Austin 10 saloon from the same period provide suitable donor parts such as chassis/ bulkhead etc?

Just wondered if you may know?

Thanaks

Edited by Fugly
spelling

Hi I an restoring a Tilly and wrecked two Austin 10 saloons looking for a Floor Pan, none were rust free but I used bits from the wrecked ones to replace the parts I couldnt make. Even then I found every old neglected wreck had the pan rusted under the front seats.

As for other parts in the saloon the engine is smaller and has a aluminum bell housing also the gearbox is aluminum. the diff is ok and has a better ratio than the ute. Wrecking out a Saloon is good fun and you will get lots of useful bits and nuts and bolts as long as you dont have to pay too much for it, but again a good floor pan is the pot of gold, just check under the front seats. even if you dont need it grab it. I dont Know how to post a picture here but I have a picture I can send you of an Austin 10 being fitted with its body at the Austin factory. Andy

Are you guys aware of the Tilly register? Dedicated to the four makes plus the Austin 8 tourer.

During any of your rebuilds or dismantling wrecks. If you come across a spare engine oil filler cap, please bear me in mind. Mine has a plastic one from a BMC A or B series, which has been on it for the 22 years I have owned it, and is really bugging me. Ron

Tilly 09 002.jpg

Thanks chaps for the info.

Yes the tilly ( or whats left of it) is on the register. Will keep an eye out for a floor !!

My advice is to take the Tilly apart asap. I drove mine into the corner of the workshop and left it for fourty years thinking it was safe but it just rusted away, now I am paying the price. Take it apart and get the rotting timber out and look after the metal bits. Andy

Are you guys aware of the Tilly register? Dedicated to the four makes plus the Austin 8 tourer.

During any of your rebuilds or dismantling wrecks. If you come across a spare engine oil filler cap, please bear me in mind. Mine has a plastic one from a BMC A or B series, which has been on it for the 22 years I have owned it, and is really bugging me. Ron

Ron love your Tilly, I am in Australia and Tillies are a bit rare, but I know where a Hilman is (wont sell) and I wrecked out and have the bits from a Morris. One of the Austin 10 I wrecked had a oil filler cap, as soon as the buying deal was done I put the cap in my pocket and did a jig. I will watch out for one for you. Andy