Attention Northumbria

kpu121265

While i was looking for some of the original Dempsey material i have, i came across this. Part of a set of documents i have relating an exercise in 1941, dated 20th Jul 1941. It is "Text of the proclamation to the British Nation broadcast 0700Hrs 20 Jul".

It goes on "In spite of the understanding and goodwill the Great Britain has always exhibited regarding Northumbria as exemplified in the pact of Non-aggression....".....

Ken

In attached .pdf

attn Northumbria.pdf

Edited by kpu121265
Spelliong as usual

It says "Exercise Secret"

I have some more of the documents relating to this exercise, including some of the troop movement 'orders'. When i finally get it all scanned access will be much easier.

Just thought it might be of interest. It came from the same source as the Goodwood, Bluecoat and Normandy documents i have - Major Jackson, Montgomery's GSO2 (from memory).

I also have some reports from security officers apparently visiting in and around camps prior to D-Day, seeing what information they could get from any military personel they encountered, fascinating stuff and all hand written.

Ken

While i was looking for some of the original Dempsey material i have, i came across this. Part of a set of documents i have relating an exercise in 1941, dated 20th Jul 1941. It is "Text of the proclamation to the British Nation broadcast 0700Hrs 20 Jul".

It goes on "In spite of the understanding and goodwill the Great Britain has always exhibited regarding Northumbria as exemplified in the pact of Non-agression....".....

Ken

In attached .pdf

[ATTACH]58691[/ATTACH]

Love it. In my day we tended to blame the accursed Fantasians. (I think when they start the demo at Tankfest every year it is these same Fantasians they blame for having landed on the Dorset coast yesterday evening and did you not all see it on South Today?)

Still, Hadrian cannot have been all bad: he built a wall to keep the accursed Geordies out.

I'd love, if I could be bothered, to compare this statement with the one Chamberlain wrote and when no such guarantees were given by 1100 hours, 3 September, a state of war existed between this country and Germany. A quick wiki search will easily find the declaration, but not the ultimatum.

It's a standard text, ready to be used by just replacing words like NORTHUMBRIA and NEWCASTLE by whatever country / area or city you need it to refer to.

It could be issued, circulated, and transported like that, and if it fell into the wrong hands it couldn't be used for negative publicity.

I'll bet there are modern equivalents on file even as we sit here...

Gordon

Somewhere I have the official report for Ex Roman Candle circa 1956. The Fantasians (geographically represented by USSR) form an alliance with the Saturnians (geographically represented by Eire) & their combined forces invade North Devon & march to London. The exercise was to establish whether our forces could hold the three bridges in Hampshire vital for this conquest.

I think the result was that we won although one bridge was "destroyed".