Spin on Oil filter kit

Hello One and All,

I have finally got hold of a spin on oil filter kit from Eastern Surplus, have trawled this section however cannot find the commercial oil code for OE/HDO 30 as quoted in my Reo manual, would I be safe with Millers SAE30 ? also with the spin on system I apparently need les oil ? can anyone verify please ?:red:

I tried the search system but to no avail

thanks in anticipation...John:blush:

From what i have read about the spin on filter sets for Reo M35 type trucks most of them have anti drain back filters so oil pressure builds faster, so i would of thought that the engine would require slightly more oil to bring it up to the correct level as some would be retained in the filters. For more info have a look on steelsoldiers.com

Hope this helps

From what i have read about the spin on filter sets for Reo M35 type trucks most of them have anti drain back filters so oil pressure builds faster, so i would of thought that the engine would require slightly more oil to bring it up to the correct level as some would be retained in the filters. For more info have a look on steelsoldiers.com

Hope this helps

Thanks Mark, i guess I shouldn't watch too many 'youtube' how to's !!

do you reckon I will be ok with the sae 30 ? oil that is

Hi john

sorry but I'm not 100% sure about the grade of oil you should be using but if millers is for older diesel engines it should be ok.

Maybe it would be better to post a question in the American vehicles section of the forum in the hope that you may get a reply from someone that runs a M-series vehicle

It depends on which of Millers straight 30 oils you have, they do a non detergent for pre 1930's vehicles and then one for 1940's on vehicles, I think this one is called pistoneeze or something similar. This one would be the correct one for your application, it has mild detergent additives. Morris oils do a 30 grade for older vehicles and this is what I have always used in my vehicles.

It depends on which of Millers straight 30 oils you have, they do a non detergent for pre 1930's vehicles and then one for 1940's on vehicles, I think this one is called pistoneeze or something similar. This one would be the correct one for your application, it has mild detergent additives. Morris oils do a 30 grade for older vehicles and this is what I have always used in my vehicles.

Thanks Degsy,

i only quoted Millers as we use their oil in large quantities, however being a non stock item I would have to pay the normal price, I think I will stick with the Morris 30 grade, the guys at Eastern surplus say i shouldn't need more than 20.5 litres ? is that correct? i have been doing the old US quarts to Imperial then to metric etc i got 21 litres...maths never was my strong point.

Hi john

sorry but I'm not 100% sure about the grade of oil you should be using but if millers is for older diesel engines it should be ok.

Maybe it would be better to post a question in the American vehicles section of the forum in the hope that you may get a reply from someone that runs a M-series vehicle

Thanks again Mark, much appreciated ! I do look in at Steel Soldiers, however i don't think they would tolerate a thicko like me:nut:

I can't remember the quantity of oil used in the Reo but 21 litres sounds a bit much, you can download the TM's for the Reo off the web if you haven't got a paper copy. The guy's on Steel Soldiers are very knowledgeable and I know would be pleased to help you, don't be afraid to ask, everybody had to start learning somewhere and nobody knows everything.

I can't remember the quantity of oil used in the Reo but 21 litres sounds a bit much, you can download the TM's for the Reo off the web if you haven't got a paper copy. The guy's on Steel Soldiers are very knowledgeable and I know would be pleased to help you, don't be afraid to ask, everybody had to start learning somewhere and nobody knows everything.

Thanks again Degsy, yes they are very knowledgable, not sure they are used to 'limeys' but my top ten questions feature on the first few pages !!

even 'cracked tyres' !!!:red:

john, 20 litres should be plenty, ive run a m35 for 11 years on 15w/40 turbo diesel super farm/ truck oil with no problems at all.The reason you might require slightly less oil for the spin on kit is because the 2x scew on filters supplied(esp the black ones) usually are alot smaller capacity than the std cannisters as i think they were used on chevy v8 petrol engines. I fitted a screw on kit but had the threaded adaptors re-made to take large cummins/fleetguard filters with better flow rate. martin

john, 20 litres should be plenty, ive run a m35 for 11 years on 15w/40 turbo diesel super farm/ truck oil with no problems at all.The reason you might require slightly less oil for the spin on kit is because the 2x scew on filters supplied(esp the black ones) usually are alot smaller capacity than the std cannisters as i think they were used on chevy v8 petrol engines. I fitted a screw on kit but had the threaded adaptors re-made to take large cummins/fleetguard filters with better flow rate. martin

Thanks Martin, Eastern Surplus supplied me with 2 x Wix 51458 filters, may I ask what brand of oil you use ?

cheers

John

Any properly API (or whatever committee assigned specifications to oil in your neck of the woods is) rated 15W-40 oil would be fine. Going off the old lube charts is nostalgic, but far more superior oils are available today.. and generally on the shelf.

Be sure you go back and re-torque the adapter bolts as many people have had issues with leaking adapters.

I don't buy into the 'spin on filters are better' view... I've done a couple of oil changes on my M35a2 and not had one wayward drop and get oil pressure as within 5 seconds of hitting the start button.

• 2 weeks later...

The standard oil filters are inverted.. so they hold no oil. You fill the crankcase to the capacity listed.

Even with the 'spin on kits' the filters are inverted.. so the key 'selling point' is that they give instant oil pressure sort of...

http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16068

I've changed filters a couple times on my M35a2 and still use the standard cannister filters. I pay $8 a filter and have not had one drop of oil hit the ground from the filter. There are OTHER leaks... but not from the filters.

Edited by deadline

Thanks Deadline,

I have gone through with the changeover and yes had to re-torque after a few run ups, I must admit it was a lot easier than I anticipated

now I am after sorting out the canvas covers for my seats, wow those springs sure hurt !!:shocked:

My drivers seat is in very good shape. Had to buy a new cover for the passenger bench... JATONKA had the covers pretty cheap.

You gents are lucky to have a ton of CCKWs in the UK/EU... but I will never have to look far for M35a2 parts here in the USA.