Size is not everything!

Great photos ! reminds me of something from many years ago.....:cheesy:...

I had a Landrover Series 1 with the ordinary standard 2 litre petrol in her at the time...I was driving lorries for a living and one morning one of the artics found she had a flat battery.......the other lorries had gone from the depot and there was no jumper pack available so I offered to tow start her with my Landrover..

.........there were many hoots of derision in the tea hut in particular from a young lad that was employed as one of the loaders.....he was of the variant that drove a hot hatch back with all the bells and whistles stuck all over it and had been very scathing over my 1955 Landrover since I'd started work there so was laughing his head off at my idea to tow start a tractor unit complete with its loaded trailer mind you !...without starting her there was no way to get her out from under the 5th wheel so we had no choice.

........I produced my Nylon snatch rope...hooked up to the artic and in low range easily but very steadily pulled her and the trailer out of the yard onto the private factory road where we had a longer run to try and start her.....I told the driver clearly what the drill was then set off at a good pace in a straight line down the road ..having now 'singled' the nylon rope..it stretched nearly twice as long cos of the speed I set off at and the artic lurched forward..........the driver dropped the clutch and she turned over and fired up to much applause and amazement off the fellas stood about waiting to see me fail dismally...

I got a full English breakfast off the gaffer in the cafe later that morning and no one laughed at my little series one after that ..:laugh:

PS: I don't wanna spoil my story but !!!...

We hauled out of a factory that made Polystyrene insulation so..

..although the artic trailer was fully loaded it had no more than 10 tonne of load on it ......

...but still!.......an artic tractor and trailer plus 10 tonnes of load isn't bad for a Series One Landrover to tow start I reckon!

PPS: I should also point out that my own lorry was out with another driver so that's why we didn't use it ! :D

Edited by RattlesnakeBob

Reminds me of the time many moons ago when i was a YTS lad ... the boss of the workshop dragging a dead ford D series road sweeper out of the way with his Cavalier ..... the smell of cooked clutch lingered for days .... lol