Studebaker US 6.

Antony

Last time I was at the late Alan Chapman's he had 9 Studes all of which he had imported from Australia. I asume they were disposed of after his death.

I was led to believe that just the tractor unit was a UK machine, it was used by a company local to Alan and came from a scrapyard yard nearby? Wasn't that one a 6x4? Went to Bristol area I believe.

I never took any pictures when I visited - I was so busy looking in three directions at once at all the eye candy!!!

Some had gone, but still an impressive sight.

I know that Blue had the 'pick of the bunch' due to his friendship with Alan going back over 30 years to the early days of the MVCG and the Duxford Aviation Society connection. He bought his before Alan's death I'm sure. Also Mike Davies in Essex had a nice one from the collection which I saw last year amongst his Arsenal of goodies.............No idea who bought/had the rest.

I was led to believe that just the tractor unit was a UK machine, it was used by a company local to Alan and came from a scrapyard yard nearby? Wasn't that one a 6x4? Went to Bristol area I believe.

I never took any pictures when I visited - I was so busy looking in three directions at once at all the eye candy!!!

Here is the tractor unit, and Roy with Allan looking at the GMC cab which is being converted for the Studebaker.

HPIM0771.jpg

HPIM0765.jpg

Here is the tractor unit, and Roy with Allan looking at the GMC cab which is being converted for the Studebaker.

If only we could have captured the dialogue between those two for posterity as the deal was being put together!

Alan's classic line that he used on numerous occasions whenever he was endeavoring to separate a man from his money went along the lines of............

........................."A week's hard work and it'll be fine!"

Several MV projects currently under sustained restoration for the past decade were sold on the strength of such reassurance!!

i remember a trip up to Alan's in 1990 to 'collect' a take-out GMC 270 engine for £200. When we arrived that Sunday morning in the rain and drizzle the truck which the engine belonged to was still being driven around the yard! "Didn't I mention to you on the phone you had to take it out yourself," was all Alan could glibly come up with, with a wry smile on his face...........!

It turned out to be the best GMC motor I ever had.

• 3 months later...
Nice effort to get it back running again, I am just finishing a 6x4 Studebaker for the comming rally season(ex british army) , only thing missing is the interior cab lining and strips to hold it in position , is there anybody with detail interior pictures ? also what material is used as door seals rubber or canvas ?

The head lining is a card board type material with a brown smooth surface on it like a old card board school case.

The head lining is sewn together above the doors so the card board type material can be the correct shape to follow the roof line.

The door seals are rubber internal with a cotton outer bead.

Edited by 101 Ron