Old type V5/ registration number.

Hi All,

I'm not really sure how to proceed and was just wondering if anyone on here would be able to offer any advice on the historic vehicle registration/ number plate process before I make an idiot out of myself at the local DVLA office.

I've been going through some of the paperwork that came with my Vulcan and found a V5 for it:yay:

Its one of the old blue types issued in the early 1980's, but the truck has not been on the road since the early 1960's.

I've spoken to the previous owners who had the vehicle inspected by DVLA, the number plate issued (VB 4339) was a plate that was found with the truck but not actualy attached.

Theres nothing wrong with the number at all, its the correct period, would not look out of place and it could be the correct number, but i'm not convinced.

I think originally the number would have been MP 8871, i have a few magazine articles putting this number and my chassis number together as well as a letter from the gentleman who originally rescued the truck in the 1960's supporting this, but nothing concrete like a photo or buff log book.

There is another Vulcan which is 3 chassis numbers away from mine, and its reg is also 3 numbers away from MP8871, could this just be coincidence, or were some numbers issued consecutively?

If i send off the old V5 that i have, will VB 4339 be non transferable when the new V5 comes back?

Obviously i would like to get the vehicle registered to myself as soon as i can, but i don't really want to be stuck with the wrong number.

Are there any army records going back to the late 1920's that would prove which number is correct?

Any advice or comments welcome, and many thanks in advance.

A DVLA online check shows VB 4339 is still registered to a 1927 Vulcan, registered 4/1984 so that is its number, still valid, presumably the original number was transfered or lost years ago and the Vulcan re registered in 1984.

A non transferable number means you can not sell the reg. number to be put on another vehicle, I think not the case though with your number, but your free to apply any appropriate number to your Vulcan

Edited by Nick Johns

Hi Nick,

Thanks for that, I've just had a look on there too, looks to be quite a simple job just to send off the V5 and get that number then.

Any idea what the procedure would be if i wanted to change the reg to the original one?

Would VB 4339 be non transferable?

Cheers

You need to contact DVLA to see if the old number MP 8871 is still in use, if it is then no chance to use it unless its possibly for sale with a reg. number dealer, it would be expensive. if the number is not allocated DVLA would not re issue it with out sustantial proof it was originally from your vehicle

Edited by Nick Johns

Thanks for your help Nick,

I'll have a trip down to my local office in Theale and see what they say, i've heard some good reviews that they are a bit sympathetic to older vehicles. It would be nice to get the original number back, but its not the end of the world if i can't.

What sort of evidence they would need? I guess a few magazine articles and letters wouldn't be enough! :D