DPM Parka

wdbikemad

Blimey Jason !! That is indeed an early-issue DPM parka......BUT, did you notice that it's a fair bit different to the later production garments...???

Note the PAIR of "Fixlock" fasteners either side of the hood.....most DPM parkas only have the one, as on windproof smocks.....

Note too, the SQUARE shape pocket flaps........not the same as later issues......AND, the left-breast pocket seems to have a pen-pocket in a similar fashion to the old green parkas and 60 pattern smocks......

Note also, the shoulder and lower-rear lining appears to be in nylon......not cotton-poplin......

This seems to be an issue item too, not a trial or SCRDE-marked item.......:laugh:

• 3 weeks later...

What I do not recall ever seeing Steve is the matching liner in old sizing....

The old sized temperate vest is common and there are a few examples of the artic smock liner around (I posted photos of one a few weeks ago) but the specific liner for the parka I have not seen....

Welcome Richard- didn't think we would see you over here...;-)

Would be great to see a few more pics from your collections.

Thanks for the welcome:laugh:

Been lurking for a while and debating as to join or not as im not quite as obsessive as you lot:D:D regarding these things but couldnt resist any longer:nut:

Will post a few bits up as i get the time.

Cheers.

as im not quite as obsessive as you lot:D

Lol! I am not so sure Richard - I think there may be more of an obsessive lurking in your subconcious than you think...:D

There are some really very knowledgeable folks on the forum - many of whom have forgotten more than I will ever know!

Lol! I am not so sure Richard - I think there may be more of an obsessive lurking in your subconcious than you think...:D

There are some really very knowledgeable folks on the forum - many of whom have forgotten more than I will ever know!

Nah,i could NEVER be as bad as you guys:D:D:D

On a serious note though,im sure i will learn(i hope) a great deal on here.

Unfortunately i have in the past and still do collect on a tight budget due to a low paid job so cannot afford the luxuries-what rare bits i may have i have been lucky enough to buy many years ago when the world(and Ebay) hadnt gone bonkers or have been lucky enough to snap up a jammy bargain but that doesnt happen as often as i would like.

I wont clog up the place with run of the mill everyday stuff just what i consider to be a bit special.

• 1 year later...

Never had much experience with these parkas but just acquired a later one and they are very very different,first thing I noticed was that the early one(pictured) is made of a thin almost SAS smock type material while the lighter one is of much thicker combat smock type material.

Seems the outer of the early (old size range) and later (metric sized) parkas varies, not only in fabric but in detail such as the pockets flaps, hood drawcords, nylon semi-lining, etc.........later parkas were indeed made in the same cotton-based DPM fabric as normal combat clothing........

But the liner fitted to this early example is a later (metric sized) example rather than a matching early-sized item.......not unusual as liners were often issued separately to the outer and frequently made by other contractors....this one being made by "Belstaff International Ltd" (BIL)........all the parka liners are velcro-attached and closed, no buttons.......some parkas offered for sale are sometimes seen with the extreme cold weather arctic liner attached which is similar but no velcro and double rows of buttons at the front......these were for wear (originally) with the arctic windproof smock although after 1984 were specified for the standard combat smock as well (the awful unlined variety with the falling-off pockets that replaced the 68 pattern).......:D