Scammel Pioneer / Explorer - £ Valuations

ruxy

The subject of Pioneer £ valuations cropped up on another thread.

I posted the following :-

Re: Scammell Pioneer s/n 4977

Scammel prices / desirability , I am aware a Pioneer is WW2 era and that has some additional advantage, so some opinion would rate more cashe.

However a Explorer that I suppose is better described as post-WW2, to some may have lower valuation (for what is a mighty fine truck).

When this Explorer came on the market several weeks ago - only 1 bid & sold at £10,000 , is this a benchmark to work from for all good ??

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISA...407706&afsrc=1

Opinions please..

====================

Quite correctly there was another post that this should be raised as a totally seperate thread, the subject of thread hi-jack had crossed my mind. So here we are, I have to say - I was sort of aware of the Explorer (based just off the A1 Northumberland) , I had a watch on the eBay thread and expected a few final £ snipes , there were none , this set me thinking that I had the wrong valuation of this quality / type of truck in my mind. Or is it a sign of the times ,,,,,

Now then - apparently we have asking prices for blitzed Pioneers well in excess of scrap £ value. Taking into consideration the material £ cost for a full restoration. Of course the time taken is to be considered a pleasure time , things don't seem to £ add up.

This is the reason that I would like to see a few IMHO in open forum....

Edited by ruxy
speling

for what its worth

i paid somewhat less than that for my mk 1 explorer and had a selection of hard to find spares 2 years ago i know a few scammell men thought id over paid but i was happy with my purchase it seems 10000 or so seems to be the current asking price for 1 needing little or no work having said that 1 year ago i heard of a pair of mk 2s for 2000 but there was only enough bits between the 2 to make 1 good 1 if you had the time

as for pioneers i cant comment other than i know for 1 locally that had a sort of showmans body on it and many original bits removed a runner when parked up 15 years ago and £2000 was rejected by the owner 18 months ago

if you are thinking of buying either id say make sure you know the differences between them both and see whitch meets your needs

It comes down to the combination of how much someone wants to pay and how much an owner will let one go for.

As a rough guide, start at scrap value and adjust for condition. Remember there is quite a bit of timber and rubber in the total weight that a scrap dealer wouldn't pay for, but good tyres are worth quite a bit to the buyer. Location has an impact on the value, due to the cost of transport.

It's up personal choice deciding between something put together in a rush for wartime use or a properly developed piece of machinary. Above all remember that a Scammell is British, not something cobbled up in the colonies America.

If you compare them with smaller stuff they are much better value, if you had £10,000 to spend you would get much more for your money with a Scammell than a Jeep.

bottom line is you get what some one will pay if it scrap you get that price offered if its a minter you get top price if its yours you make the choice to sell or keep. You can discuss for ever and a day things will sell for what they are worth or what seller will take full stop.

No way can you link what last one sold for to the one begin sold now it will make what seller accepts

Edited by cosrec