Austin Champs and Henlys of Weston Super Mare (B269?)

Peter4456

It seems there are a number of Champs that were base overhauled at a location called B269 (that's what's stamped on the vehicle plate!). It is believed that this relates to Henlys at Weston Super Mare. Henlys did indeed have premises at Weston Super Mare - they certainly shared the Bristol wartime aircraft factory with Westland Helicopters in the early 60s - but did the War Office / MOD sub contract the Champ base overhaul work out that early? Did Henlys overhaul any other Army vehicles?

It looks like there might be an interesting story here, can anyone help with any information?

It seems there are a number of Champs that were base overhauled at a location called B269 (that's what's stamped on the vehicle plate!). It is believed that this relates to Henlys at Weston Super Mare. Henlys did indeed have premises at Weston Super Mare - they certainly shared the Bristol wartime aircraft factory with Westland Helicopters in the early 60s - but did the War Office / MOD sub contract the Champ base overhaul work out that early? Did Henlys overhaul any other Army vehicles?

It looks like there might be an interesting story here, can anyone help with any information?

Peter,

What date is on your plate against B269? I know that there was a Champ overhaul programe at 14 Command Workshop REME as well, and think that was around the mid to late 1950's.

Found some references online

http://www.austinchamp.com/03 Register/extras/photogallery/History.htm

[o] Henlys of Weston Super Mare in Somerset: Very few of these and all dated early 1960's. I was told many years ago that this firm had the contract for Base Overhauls on Champs for WD. Ie: Vehicle 03 BE 39 which was BER Henlys WSM on 18/9/66 after it was sold through Ruddington as Lot 96 on 22/11/61. This vehicle was modified into a very bizarre looking vehicle.

http://www.storyofmylife.com/User/user_story_view.aspx?storyId=6546&UserId=186602&ChapterId=11302

My invention at Henleys-----------whilst I was working as an inspector for Henley’s motors at Oldmixon my task was to oversee the building of the front and rear axle assemblies for the Austin champ I realized there was a better way of getting the clearance on the crown wheel assembly correct in each newly assembled differential case, this was adjusted by inserting steel shimseach side of the crown wheel assembly you have to take the case apart to adjust the shims and this could take anything up to a dozen attempts to get it right, I realized if we replaced the bearings with an adjustable micrometer like tool the adjustment would tell us exactly the size of the shims required the construction of these tools was taken over by the foreman inspector and they proved to be very successful they never gave me any credit for the idea but years later at an apprentice exhibition one of the things they had on display was the tool that I had invented

Martyn

Richard,

That was quick! - the plate says February 1960 and I know of another which says October 1959

Peter

I would have to consult one of my old work colleagues who worked on the Champ rebuilds at 14 Comd Wksp, don't see him very often but will try and remember when I do,as to when it actaully was.

• 3 months later...