Tank Denims

Peter4456

Nice denims Peter. I have a couple of the era but with following descriptions on the label:

[TABLE=width: 275]

[TR]

[TD=class: xl76, width: 366, bgcolor: #69ffff]- Suit Tank Temperate[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: xl76, bgcolor: #69ffff]- Suit Tank Tropical 1953 Pattern[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Both are dated 1956.

The tank suit shown is the wartime pattern in green denim....still made during the 1950s and 60s......the heavy tan-colour winter "pixie" suit was favoured for cold weather, also still made throughout the 50s, and did not disappear from use until the 1970s.........incidentally, the label for these is found tucked inside the right-sleeve cuff !! There was a cammo version of the winter suit made in a heavy proofed canvas, wartime-produced, but it did not seem to see much use and was uncommon to see in service after WW2......both versions had detachable hoods made in both colours....

The tropical version of the tank suit was very similar to the denim example shown but made in a green lightweight material.....

It is thought that the denim tank suit lasted in service right up to the early 1970s in some instances, when replaced by the cotton-poly standard army-issue coveralls either in green or black..........

I still recall adverts in the "Exchange & Mart" of the late-1970s/early 80s from a company selling the winter tank suit brand-new in all sizes, noted as "great for motorcyclists"....and in many ways they actually were quite good for such purpose !

...am currently on the lookout for a 'pixie - suit' type tank suit, 1950's,... to fit me, I'm 6'1", I know finding one for someone my height is probably a tall order:-D:rotfl:, but someone must have one, I'm sure...