A Tank Maker

tankmaker1

Hi folks

drawn to this great forum through the recent Challenger 1 thread - especially as I spent 14 happy years at Barnbow managing Chieftain, Challenger 1 and Challenger 2 work.

Personally I would love to have the time and money to have bought the Cr1 but one day who knows.

If I can be of help I have my memories and a number of ex Barnbow warriors who might be able to help with diverse subjects including Khalid, Fox and CET

Keep up the good work out there

Tank Maker

• 2 weeks later...
Hi folks

If I can be of help I have my memories and a number of ex Barnbow warriors who might be able to help with diverse subjects including Khalid, Fox and CET

tankmaker1 - if you have any photographs or information to add to my write-up of Barnbow they would be much appreciated:

Royal Ordnance Factory, Barnbow, Crossgates, Leeds

Dig_VickersWorksInLeeds_WikiMtaylor848_c.jpg

I'm particularly keen on photographs of the inside showing tanks being built. You can get some idea from here:

British Tank Factories

Hi Tank Maker

So its you and your mates who are responsible for my interest in Tanks!

I spent most of my breaktime at Austhorpe Primary School watching you lot driving Chieftains and the like around the test track (when I wasn't crawling through the fields at the back of Barrowby Woods to get a closer look :-D)

Oh and the fun of hanging off the back of an Antar on my bike as it trundled down Selby Road - only to let go and overtake it!!!

Gutted when they closed it :-(