Racal mast guy ropes

Chubbster

• 2 weeks later...
Hello all,

Might be a silly question but....

Are the guys for the 8 metre mast long enough to be used on the 12 metre mast, are they a standard length?

Cheers in advance

Alex

Not a definitive answer but here goes. . .

I only ever used the 5.4 m lightweight and 8.2 m Push Up masts, not the 12 m type but I do not recall there being any excess guy left over on the 8.2 m once it was up sp probably not.

For a more serious (and in depth) answer I have just bought a 12 m Racal mast and, from a separate source, a 12 m guying which looks to be for a Clark PU 12 mast for amateur radio use.

As both Clark and Racal masts are the same height and have the same fixings I assume that the guying kits are the same except for minor details like the shape of the stakes etc!

In my guying kit the upper guys are 14 ½ m long and the middle guys are 9 ¾ m long. Of course they will fit an 8 m mast although there will be a lot of slack to take up.

With my mast I received a couple of odd Racal marked guys, still bagged and labled, which I think were for an 8 m mast (no issues there, the advert made it clear it did not have the complete kit and I ordered the full kit from the other dealer before picking the mast up).

These two guys are marked as – Guy, Upper 10.75m and Guy, Middle 5.75m.

Sketching on a piece of paper and assuming the guy radius is about 5 m for the 8 m mast and is 7 m for the 12 m mast the appropriate guy lengths should be :

Radius middle guy upper guy

8 m mast 5m 5.5m 9.0m

12 m mast 7m 9.0m 14.0m

Which fits with the measurements of the guys I have and suggests that the 10.75m upper and 5.75 middle guys are for an 8 m mast.

If that is so then, no, the 8 m mast kit will not fit a 12 m mast although the 12 m mast kit will fit the 8 m mast with a lot of slack left over.

The base plate & insulator are the same for both mast types as are the stakes.

If you are planning on making your own guys and need more details or if you are interested in buying the 2 x middle and 2 x upper guys for the 8m mast PM me!

One further thought

If you have an 8m mast kit and a 12 m mast you could push the mast up without extending the top section and the lowest section.

The result would be a mast about 8m high with the centre guy attachments about 4 m high so it would be, in effect, an 8 m mast!

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...