Cvrt idler wheel alignment!

robin craig

Robin

Plain military had some pics a while back of half-tracked CVRT's where the complete idler assembly had come off - I wonder if this was the cause..

On my Sabre I had a real problem adjusting the tracks on one side simply would not budge no matter how much pressure I put through the grease nipple on the tensioner. On closer inspection, the grease nipple was missing from the idler axle and the idler pivot was seized solid - some WD40, a new grease nipple and working it back and forwards a few times and it was sorted, but I wonder what might have happened had I not picked it up.

Have always thought the idlers must take a heck of a force through them, esp under hard acceleration....

Cheers

Timbo

we couldnt work out why our sprocket was chewing one side until we put a flat bar across our new style 2 piece idler and realised it was 30mm out indicating a severely bent idler crank. They do indeed take a lot of stress. We replaced the entire assembly with a good take off, everything now runs in line and perceptibly quieter

regards mick

Andy,

your missing the point a little bit. If you follow the link in the original post you will see there is an issue with shim washers and bolt lengths for the idler. This changes the alignment of the idler in relation to the roadwheels.

R

Understood Robin - I was just pointing out that bent idler axles (for whatever reason) aren't unfortunately just confined to CVR(T)s.

Andy

In all the bashing / driving in the military I did how the **** do you bend/mis align a idler arm....must be some new trait, or abuse in the scrap yard. The idler arm only moves in two directions up and down, and compresses in and out. So these MUST have been struck VERY violently from an outside force , most likely from complete vehicle being dropped onto it in the scrap yard....may I suggest you check the hull.

And to kill a rumour the track on a tank only travels as fast as the vehicle travels forward it is the de acceleration from 30 to 0 mph that is the stress giver.....ANOTHER THREAD i HAVE READ.

EXROCK ie Ex RAF Regiment CVRT Driver/ Commander:cool2:

Dear exrock,

I have another thread running that shows how the arm in question mounted on a Stormer was damage due to the track being thrown but stopping part way off with the guide horns up on the idler wheel and the rubber pad in contact with the sponson underside which is when the track stopped moving as its height is bigger than the gap it was trying to fit through.

R

There have been a couple of failures lately including one which resulted in a vehicle leaving the A1 and ending up on its turret. In this case the resulting report identified a failure of the tensioner hub despite the correct maintenence being carried out.

Fortunately none of the crew was injured and the incident was a timely reminder to keep as low in the turret as possible to avoid unpleasantness in the event of an accident.

According to the BBC it was a "technical failure"

link here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bradford-west-yorkshire-12443353

Some failure! Here's a couple of photos showing the sponson plate where the track chainsawed through it, and the stripped gun showing the result of using the barrel to support the vehicle's weight.

Sponson.JPG

Gun.JPG

Something comes to mind that as the original rear idler assembly was designed for the petrol CVRT fleet and now it is used on the dieselised and Stormer vehicles that there is an issue of torque at play that is causing too much stress.

That is what keeps on rattling around my brain.

R

Robin

This makes sense - the gearboxes have been modded haven't they to take account of the extra torque ? So if the idler assembly remains as original this could give a possible explanation. Not that I intend to take any chances with maintenance but at least all mine are petrol..!

Timbo

Here is a picture, sadly it was difficult to get the camera to see what the naked eye can see but i hope this helps.

If you look at the gap between the steel square and the vertical stub you can see the gap tapers outwards as you get higher.

Sadly Mr Fedex is yet to drop the new lump into my hand as yet, had hoped to replace it last night.

R

cvrt idler arm.jpg