Truck 1/4 ton gs 4x4 rover mk6

landrover nick

i am looking for any information on contract number 6/VEH 27387 this what i have so far ,contract placed by air ministry for landrovers in early 1958 covering the following chassis numbers 141800194-141800473 these are the first series two landrovers fitted with 2 ltr engines RHD 88" basic home models .142800454-142800542 2ltr again but RHD 88" export models giving at total of 367 ,i need help with the following .

1) would they have been painted RAF blue

2) what range of RAF numbers where they allocated

3) what factory fitted equipment would have been installed

4) any in service /restored photos

5) what markings would they have carried

thanks for any help

nicky

Hi Nicky,

1. Yes they would likely have been painted RAF blue,I bought the remains of an RAF Mk6 for parts and that was painted RAF blue from the factory,with a later respray in the same colour.

2. Don't know,but you might be able to get your vehicles record card from the RAF Museum using the chassis number.

3. The Mk6 was basically a civilian vehicle,the only real military specific parts were the lights(though some early models had civvy lights) and the jerry can carrier mounted in the rear tub so otherwise much the same as a basic civvy 88".

4. I have some in service photos but will have to locate them,give me a few days.

5. Depended on the unit,but an RAF roundel on the front wing was usual.

Matt.