Blasts from the Past, Broadlands, Romsey 6/7 August 2011

A wide range of re-enactment from 2,500 BC Greek Army to the Vietnam era. Heavy mediaeval content of re-enactors & similarly with stalls. The rain stayed away during the day, there were a lot of visitors although pictures don't show that as I went around with the camera at the end of proceedings. But the view from most traders was that although people came they didn't want to spend any money.

WW2 was represented pleasingly will equal proportions of Americans, Brits & Germans, which makes a change from so many events were there is a disproportionate representation from one country.

Unfortunately a number of WW1 groups were already committed to a WW1-only event at Bateman's in Sussex but at least the conflict was represented by a soldier medic & a nurse.

I met a lot of very nice & interesting people buried away in their various disguises including a former Shorland driver in 18th cent guise & a Ferret owner in 2,500 BC Greek Army. There were lots of interesting other depictions that were too numerous to photo or where any pics would be spoilt by visitors stood in the way.

Living about 7 miles away I was able to field the Shorland & Pig together for the first time at a show.

DSCF7113.jpg

First the basics! I notice it got turned away from the public on the second day so I'm not sure if someone had taken advantage of it.

Dscf7138.jpg

I think the term WC is incorrect as it is not a water closet, but maybe the public don't what the term latrine means

DSCF7140.jpg

DSCF7120.jpg

DSCF7122.jpg

DSCF7123.jpg

DSCF7124.jpg

DSCF7125.jpg

DSCF7126.jpg

DSCF7127.jpg

DSCF7128.jpg

DSCF7134.jpg

DSCF7136.jpg

DSCF7137.jpg

Edited by fv1609

One of these is a Ferret owner.

DSCF7152.jpg

DSCF7154.jpg

DSCF7155.jpg

DSCF7156.jpg

DSCF7157.jpg

DSCF7158.jpg

DSCF7161.jpg

DSCF7164.jpg

DSCF7165.jpg

DSCF7167.jpg

DSCF7169.jpg

DSCF7171.jpg

At the rear representing WW1, a soldier & nurse, followed by a 1960s 'Stop the War' peace campaigner.

DSCF7170.jpg

Edited by fv1609

Can't see the attraction here Clive. ;)

I definitely think you are working too hard Wayne!

Surprised nobody has taken a guess at who the Ferret owner is amongst the Greek army. I'll leave it a little while & see who is voted as who looks the most likely to own a Ferret.

Dscf7152A.jpg

Oh well alright then! I believe each to be the oldest surviving example. Complete with boot laces if you have a really keen eye for detail!

DSCF7105.jpg

DSCF7106.jpg

DSCF7107.jpg

Have you any history to say that they have worked in the same area in the same era Clive ? They really look good together mate !

Andy yes I have copies of the V5(NI) & service record cards for both. I have pictures of OI on the border in 1959 & couple of it under attack in Aug 1969 and a picture of PZ when issued in 1966.

All a bit above the heads of most MOP.

I just had my board with a few pics of PZ & my FAQs: No it is not home made & no it doesn't float etc:nut:

Although I think I need one for OI with:

NO it is NOT a Saracen

NO it is NOT based on a Land Rover

These seem to be the current top two assumptions!

So it might not be on next year. If it is maybe September, apparently in August people might be playing games in London, which is of no interest to me. But I wonder how many shows may suffer from a drop in attendance or simply feel they can't compete with such goings on.

Anyway here's a TV clip of this years effort. Doesn't show the diversity of displays as this was shot well before most exhibitors had arrived & set up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-14430232