What is wrong in this picture?

paul connor

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It got to be the Ambulance version then??.. I've ran out of options..

Its not an ambulance although on the ambulance the step was moved. The step was moved because there if it was on the right you couldn't get in there as there is a thing behind the rear door that is special & has features on the door that are unusual.

I think me and Clive could have led that on a bit more, but well done!

Just a shame its now looking a bit silly!

Ah but we ain't finished yet. Why is this particular vehicle unique?

BTW The door in the rear door was to feed in a water supply from a hydrant. The welded bit lower down was where they tried the hatch originally.

Ex RUC???

Yup absolutely! Ex RUC & a prototype. I have just seen your posting whilst I bashed out below.

It was 27 BT 90 when it was a foamer in Army service.

It was a prototype pig with armour but canvas roof at rear built in 1956, one of 20 trials vehicles. Although it has been extensively rebuilt by the Army the clue for me looking under the wheel arch was the chassis plate 93280. The prefix 9 in front of the serial no was the give away on Fv1609s had that. From the rest of it 3280 means it was originally 32 BK 80.

When troop trials finished & the Mk 1 Pig went into production this one was in a batch of 10 that went to the RUC in October 1958. It was built with an armour roof in 1960. It was issued with the Belfast no 2997 OI & fleet no 185.

it was withdrawn from police service on 15/1/70. In 1973 made into a Mk2 then a foamer. But in Army service it had to be given another registration as 32 BK 80 was struck off census & can't go back on again. It was finally struck off 20/11/86.

Somewhere along the line in Army service it had been made into a standard APC, but the made feature of fixtures remained. When I fisrt saw it 15 years ago, there was a black card registration plate with a silly number, suggesting it was rustled up for some film work. But the canvas & the blunder with upside down ram doesn't help in the presentation of this rare vehicle which I believe went to The Netherlands.

It is the second oldest pig in the world being made in 1956, there is one other of these FV1609s that survives which is in my garage. Mine has an earlier chassis number & is 2996 OI the immediate neighbour of this one 2997 OI.

width=640 height=480http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/fv1620/DSCF1204.jpg[/img]

It is the second oldest pig in the world being made in 1956, there is one other of these FV1609s that survives which is in my garage. Mine has an earlier chassis number & is 2996 OI the immediate neighbour of this one 2997 OI.

Clive,

While you are Pig number crunching, here are a few for you;

04BK01 chassis no. 20401

19BK01

both these are / were Mk1

This one is a Mk2;

26BK37

All older than the one you have, but fate not known since I worked on them whilst still in service.

Richard

Richard

04 BK 01 & 19 BK 37 ah yes Fort Halstead both struck off 16/11/77

26 BK 37 got a picture of that, ended up with a Shorland turret I saw it at Ludgershall in 1994, it went to Budge & sold off as 91 MS 40

Clive,

The Fort H Pigs were re-numbered in the WB range, I worked on them in 86/87.

26BK37, I was there when the turret was fitted, a box had to be made for the roof first. It was used for training nearby :wink:

Richard