Mystery "willys" jeep

The General

All, my mate has just purchased a "Willys" jeep, which I had a look at last night. He thought it was a 1942 but it set alarm bells ringing for me, so a quck question? did all years and variants of wartime jeeps have tool box lockers in the rear bodies? His has none just a flat deck right through where the locker lids would be. M38?

Thanks in advance.

Tim.

P.S sorry no pictures.

Really need pictures to be of any help, but if 1942 then it should have toolboxes. Could it be that the tub has had some major rear panel repairs in the past? That said, I can't think of any jeep I've helped restore where the toolbox openings were too far gone to save.

All, my mate has just purchased a "Willys" jeep, which I had a look at last night. He thought it was a 1942 but it set alarm bells ringing for me, so a quck question? did all years and variants of wartime jeeps have tool box lockers in the rear bodies? His has none just a flat deck right through where the locker lids would be. M38?

If it has a tailgate too its a postwar CJ

Thanks for all the relpies so far. My friend was obviously a little reluctant to post on here, because money has changed hands.

I have explained that every day I read the HMVF forum and G503, and every day I learn more about jeeps, also that we are a friendly buch and all help each other.

He hopefully will post pictures on Monday.

Other odd parts I spotted were:

Rear exit exhuast

Fuel tank has left hand offset filler-to side of seat pad

Glass fuel gauge mounted on to tank top-beside filler

Two shackes to fit onto the top of the bumper brackets

Any way thanks again and hopefully we will see some pictures next week.

Cheers, Tim.

• 2 months later...