Soldier 95 Ripstop Trousers

wdbikemad

The ripstop DPM Soldier 95 smock is a fairly common, well-known item.......but as for matching trousers....well, they seem rather rare.....

Do they exist ? I have seen the modern ripstop version of the arctic windproof trousers, and copies of the Soldier 95 combat trousers in ripstop, but as for any issue versions....very little....

Anyone know any more on this topic ?

I know the first ones I was issued with were literally pants. They wore very easy in the knee and crotch area and left a web of nylon threads which had a tendency to rub in the vital areas:red:. To this end I have come to believe they bwere fairly quickly got rid of.

I know the first ones I was issued with were literally pants. They wore very easy in the knee and crotch area and left a web of nylon threads which had a tendency to rub in the vital areas:red:. To this end I have come to believe they bwere fairly quickly got rid of.

I'm wondering if there were two styles of trousers initially issued....ripstop, for wear with the matching field jacket and the lightweight non-ripstop variety to match the shirt.......?

The Ripstop ones were the initial pattern ones. The Lightweight jackets(shirts) were next. The next pattern of trousers were made of the same material as the Lt Wt jkts. The weave in the temperate jackets was improved. This was when the DPM fleece was issued as it was to replace the JHW as an outside garment. This was later chnged to a plain green fleece to be worn as an under layer only.

I have a chart somewhere showing the layer system and how it is used, if I can find it I'll post it.

95 rip stop trs are as rare as hens teeth and what ones are around are made for very small skinny people, they were never on general issue, our battalion tested them out, wore out very quickly

...or very tall ones. I've only ever seen one pair, which were issued to an extremely lanky recruit until some 'normal' ones could be obtained.

I wonder how they trialed "ripstop"...?

"Jenkins, run through 50 metres of razor wire, and come back and let us know how you got on !"

Or

"Brown...sit on the sanding belt for 30 minutes and report the findings...and that's an order !!!"

Nuff said....:shocked:

Trousers ripstop it does not. One of the most gash bits of kit i ever had, i wore it once, never again. It was about as much use as running around in a plastic bin bag, first barb wire fence i jumped over and i swear down i felt a barb tip brush the neither regions in most unkind of manner.

The jacket on the other hand wasn't to bad, but after a few washes those little squares had a tendency to tern into bobbles that rubbed your neck something cronic after a few weeks in the field.

• 3 weeks later...
95 rip stop trs are as rare as hens teeth and what ones are around are made for very small skinny people, they were never on general issue, our battalion tested them out, wore out very quickly

Does anyone have any reference NSN numbers and descriptions for the issue ripstop trousers?

Does anyone have any reference NSN numbers and descriptions for the issue ripstop trousers?

I have a feeling that initially, the CS 95 kit was supplied as lightweight non-ripstop jacket/shirt and trousers, plus the heavyweight ripstop field jacket and trousers......but I guess that the heavyweight ripstop field trousers were soon discontinued when it was established that few troops actually wore 'em in the field, most troops preferring the lightweight field trousers for the majority of applications.........

There are some CS 95 MK2 arctic windproof trousers around in ripstop that should not be confused with the original ripstop CS 95 field trousers.......:)

I think they are a copy Jason, but I haven't any originals to refer to ! However, I would assume that the original ripstop trousers were "field trousers" to accompany the matching field-jacket ?

So on this basis, the CS 95 ripstop DPM smock (very first contract) states on the label "Jacket, DPM, Field" (no mention of Ripstop !) then NSN 8415 99 869 1935 (I would assume that the matching trousers would have a NSN in a range close to that of the smock as per many other combat garments ?).

I also note that the label in your trousers lacks any washing or care instructions that are present on the majority of issue combat clothing to baffle the average squaddie who normally chucks everything into the block machine on "boil".....:)

I have two or three pairs of ripstop windproof DPM trousers though, but these are not the same as the original issue DPM ripstop field trousers. Again, these have no mention of ripstop on the labelling. Even an Ebay search brings up few genuine examples of the ripstop CS 95 trousers for sale although there are a few pairs out there but smallish sizes and expensive (eg - £25 +)....I think "Denbigh Army Surplus" have some originals ? Talking of Ebay, a quick search currently shows a red-labelled CS 95 trial shirt/jacket and trousers for sale 'though sadly, items I already have in the collection ! Worth buying though, as it is thought that production for the "User Trial" between 1992 and 1994 was less than 3,000 suits (each item individually serial numbered too)....

Edited by wdbikemad

I think they are a copy Jason, but I haven't any originals to refer to ! However, I would assume that the original ripstop trousers were "field trousers" to accompany the matching field-jacket ?

So on this basis, the CS 95 ripstop DPM smock (very first contract) states on the label "Jacket, DPM, Field" (no mention of Ripstop !) then NSN 8415 99 869 1935 (I would assume that the matching trousers would have a NSN in a range close to that of the smock as per many other combat garments ?).

I also note that the label in your trousers lacks any washing or care instructions that are present on the majority of issue combat clothing to baffle the average squaddie who normally chucks everything into the block machine on "boil".....:)

Absolutely copies Steve I am just impressed by the efforts gone to to replicate the real thing. The giveaway other than the wording is the size 85/86/112 (apart from not existing as a size) is translated as 7080/9085!!:D