Baor rough riding challenge

N.O.S.

Met an ex REME engineer at the mot station today (he was waiting for my test to finish and was admiring the jeep :cheesy:).

He said between '52 and '58 he was in BAOR, and took part in an annual competition called Rough Riding Challenge, aimed at motorcycles and 1/4 tonners. He competed in various Gyspies, Champs, Landrovers and Jeeps and said the Jeep was in a class of its own (the course sounded pretty horrific with most 4x4s grounding front and back in deep holes!).

Can anyone enlighten us further on this regular BAOR challenge? Some photos would be top drawer!

In the 1960's (Black and White 405 line VHF) Dear old Raymond Baxter used to host once a year on telly, The Army V The London Motor Club. Ever seen a Haflinger pitted against a Stolly? Stolly cheated by going across the pond not round it! :-D Haflinger ended up sideways in Bush Commentator: Oh dear! I hope the driver is alright! I'll just take the microphone over. Are you alright?'

Drivers reply '&*($*******:wow:

The Army V The London Motor Club.

I am glad someone else remembers that, when I have mentioned it in the past I have been greeted with blank looks and began to feel I had imagined watching it!

I do remember the stolly as it was the first time I had ever seen one in action.

I am glad someone else remembers that, when I have mentioned it in the past I have been greeted with blank looks and began to feel I had imagined watching it!

I do remember the stolly as it was the first time I had ever seen one in action.

I managed to wangle my way into Hungry hill Aldershot in the 1960's to watch "Autopoint" all sorts of odd stuff was entered, military and civilian, including the Standard "Bug", Landrover one year entered a proto 88"" ser2 powered by a Buick V6

Edited by Nick Johns