Crossley Kegresse 15-20 cwt Information?

hol824

Hi.

I am trying to track down (excuse the pun) a Crossley Kegresse 15-20 cwt that was originally partially restored by a good friend of mine (Ian Simpson of Higher Hurdsfield, Cheshire). He Sadly Passed away about ten years ago but left his Half Track to Bovington Tank Museum where i believe it sat untouched for a number of years.

I was told recently when inquiring to Bovington it had been given/sold to some one in London but unfortunately I wasn’t able to get any additional information. It would be great to see it again, I used to spend hours chatting to Ian about the build and know how much time/effort was put into it.

If you can help or can shed any light as to what happened to it would be great, I’d love to see it finished.

Hi, we've touched on the Crossley-Kegresse survivors here: http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?20996-Kegresse

Tony Oliver (History on Wheels Museum) has had his example well over a decade, so it won't be that one. The one mentioned in The Automobile magazine was said to be being restored in Milton Keynes (and restoration didn't progress very far); so your friend's example is either the one said to be with the Army Museum or a fourth vehicle.

It sadens me that if it went to Bovington that they subsequently disposed of it outside of the museum network. Now that they have a profile on this forum they may wish to comment.

Did you get to see the vehicle / have any photos?

The prospect of another Crossley-Kegresse has got me scurrying off to see what I can find in the archive here.

I'm fortunate to have a near complete set of the Crossley Register's newsletter; and way back in October 1985 Ian, then of Macclesfield, described his vehicle as being one of three known - the others being at Milton Keynes (i.e. the one in The Automobile) and Windsor (i.e. Tony Oliver's). He also described his as being based on the 3 ton commercial (Kegresse rated at 30 cwt), with the other two being based on the 14hp car (Kegresse version rated at 15/20 cwt). It was said to be serial number H320.

It sounds as if he had his work cut out: It is thought to have survived due to its use a stationary engine for farming machinery when it was struck off in the mid 30's. Consequently the engine and forward (main) gearbox are fairly well worn... but the Kegresse bogie appears to have lived in the duck pond with the mean water level almost covering the eight pairs of load carrying wheels. This has dissolved a number of the wheels (new ones now cast) and agglomerated the balls and tracks of their 32 ball races...

In the Summer 1991 edition it is reported that Ian recieved a commendation from the Transport Trust Awards.

Where is it now?! This would appear to be a unique vehicle that shouldn't be hidden.

Sorry yes it was a 30cwt truck. (Huge thing) i belive it was very rare (was thought to be possable the only one of its type left)

The last time i saw it the running gear was 99% complete (just needed some Tracks sorting out) but as for bodywork it only had some of the front panels (Rad,Bonnet,Scuttle and cab floor) but i have seen pictures of what the body would have looked like and it was very simple wooden back with a Canvase roof so.

The amount of work Ian had to do it it was Amazing, as you get the idea from the above text if you can imagine it had sunk into a pond upto the centre of the front wheel and everything below that had rusted away,was missing or beyond repair, it had also led a hard life (was extensively worn and battered). On something that unusual it was a Massive undertaking to rebuild.

Well i have been in contact with Tim (Ian's son) and the Kegresse never really fell off the radar (so to speak) but it looks like its had a run of bad luck that has caused it to go backwards rather than be finished as it should be.

From what i've heard its in a sort of Limbo at the moment and it all sounds very messy. To be honist its not the news i was hoping to hear.

• 1 year later...

Well now the Crossley Kegresse you are talking about is at the Royal Logistic Corps Museum ,in Deepcut , Surrey.

You can read about it in my introduction and I have posted a Photo of it in the Forum on Kegresses !

Hopefully we will have it up and running - engine that is - by the end of the winter - say by March 2013. Timber for the bodywork will cost upwards of £1000 , and the Tracks , well , someone was quoted that Bovington said new ones would cost £10,000. !

Having practically destroyed a lot of the good done by it's former owner whilst in their charge for seven years , I sel very little store by anything they say on the subject !?

Anyway , I can assure you it is now in good hands , and , hoping we can raise some funds , we intend it should take it's pride of place as the RLC Museums Top Vehicle !