OM-13 Equivalent...One More Time

After much internet searching and overall hand wringing, I finally purchased 10 gallons of Shell TellusT15 for use in fluid couplings in a Ferret and Saladin and hydraulic steering and brakes in the later. Several forum archives listed it as a direct replacement for OM-13 and what I could make of the specs it seemed like a good bet. I am concerned about my purchase because I have heard all the horror stories about seals going south after using the wrong oil. Now after digging around in the specs in greater detail I came across the new problem pasted below. They mention incompatibility with silver plated parts in older designs and the brand name Lucas. The Saladin certainly qualifies for “older” and “Lucas” would be suspect.

Shell Tellus Oil T Compatibility:

The anti-wear additive technology used in Shell Tellus Oil T is based upon zinc which, although ideal for most hydraulic pumps, should not be used in those of older design containing silverplated components. Shell Tellus Oils R should be used for these applications.

Shell Tellus Oil T15 may be used in extremes of temperature such as fork lift trucks in cold

stores or in brick kilns, in hydraulically operated machine tools where speed must remain

constant throughout the working day. Shell Tellus Oil T15 is also recommended for use as a

circulating oil for rolling bearings when a wide variation in ambient temperature is expected.

This product should not be used in systems containing silver components, eg some Lucas

pumps

So the question today for the group……….is the hydraulic pump in the Saladin made by Lucas and are there any other known silver parts involved in the system or the fluid couplings?

Anybody have anything else to offer, good or bad, about this oil?

As always, all knowledge, opinions, thoughts, and beliefs are welcome and appreciated.

Regards,

Bob

So the question today for the group……….is the hydraulic pump in the Saladin made by Lucas and are there any other known silver parts involved in the system or the fluid couplings?

Anybody have anything else to offer, good or bad, about this oil?

As always, all knowledge, opinions, thoughts, and beliefs are welcome and appreciated.

Hi Bob,

There is no silver used in the fluid coupling and extremely doubtfull in the hyd. pump either. I am pretty sure the pump was manufactured by Lockheed.........and not Lucas.

Richard, Clive,

Thank you for the help. Puts my mind at ease a bit.

Not knowing what type of oil is currently in both systems, would you change it out completely rather than mix it? Or at least mix some outside the vehicle as a test? Oh, I think I just went back to hand wringing again.

Regards,

Bob

I would always change the oil complete rather than mix them as you don't know the properties, then at least if it is the wrong oil in there now you will rectify it before any damage may happen.