Basis of a digital fiche reader?

fv1609

This is on offer at the moment,

http://www.maplin.co.uk/usb-digital-microscope-with-200x-magnification-266073

I bought it for some close up photography of small components. But laying a sheet of fiche over it with only the ceiling light to back light it I was pleased to be able to read it.

I was disappointed when I bought my last scanner some years ago that it had back lighting but only produced splodgey words that were barely legible.

This Maplin thing could be useful.

The problem is that the focus is very sharp & it goes out of focus just by the slight curvature of the film. I think I need to place it between two glass sheets for rigidity as in a proper reader.

The other problems are clicking the capture button without it moving & I can't get a full page on one exposure. I had it on the highest resolution so this image is 3.8mb, I think I can bring that down without losing much detail.

Needs some refining but £25 is better than the cheapest digital scanner that with postage is over £1,000. Considering I didn't buy it to read fiche, this is a bonus.

20110330211848.jpg

This is on offer at the moment,

http://www.maplin.co.uk/usb-digital-microscope-with-200x-magnification-266073

I bought it for some close up photography of small components. But laying a sheet of fiche over it with only the ceiling light to back light it I was pleased to be able to read it.

I was disappointed when I bought my last scanner some years ago that it had back lighting but only produced splodgey words that were barely legible.

This Maplin thing could be useful.

The problem is that the focus is very sharp & it goes out of focus just by the slight curvature of the film. I think I need to place it between two glass sheets for rigidity as in a proper reader.

The other problems are clicking the capture button without it moving & I can't get a full page on one exposure. I had it on the highest resolution so this image is 3.8mb, I think I can bring that down without losing much detail.

Needs some refining but £25 is better than the cheapest digital scanner that with postage is over £1,000. Considering I didn't buy it to read fiche, this is a bonus.

20110330211848.jpg

Clive that sounds like a result! If you can eliminate the distortion then that is a winner :cool2: