Large collection of cameras

ACH

I have approximately 300 assorted cameras of all types and to be honest I would rather have some money to spend on my vehicles, but I'm not sure of the best way to dispose of them.. We tried ebay as a collection but only got dealers who wanted to split them up and give me £5, apparently he was doing me a favour he was only buying the rubbish that would never sell, I told him to bu**er off.

So how do I get rid of them?

It would make a nice exibit somewhere but most museums would want me to donate them, which would be nice but wouldn't get the trucks done.

Now that is a good question.

Film cameras are making a bit of a come back in certain circles.

Some people swear by them, especially the larger format.

Was in Canada back in February and came across a chap using a large format plate camera from the 1920's, not only did it still work it was also very impressive in wood and brass fittings, matching tripod, black cape/hood.

Back on topic

You may struggle to get rid of 300 as a job lot.

Would like a nice collection myself but that would mean more space, and the wife may not be too pleased.

Do you have a list of what you have got.

Mike

I have a list that I completed in 2007 but it hasn't been updated with a few I have bought more recently.

As soon as I can work out how to attach it, it's an excel file if anyone can help.

Edited by ACH

In my teens I started collecting cameras, I had around 200 of them until the day my house burned down and I lost the lot.:cry:

Way back then I used to make deliveries and collections at antique shows, there were always a couple of camera dealers there. They seemed to get quite a good turn over of stock, is it worth considering taking a pitch at a show to sell the cameras?

*Edit*

Just had a look at your list, there is one there that still survives from my collection as it was in my car the night the house went poof, the klito No1 falling plate sits in its box collecting dust these days. I have to say that a lot of those cameras listed are worth pence but as a collection they are a nice history of makers and film formats... though no 9.5mm cine?

Edited by rog8811

Unfortunately I haven't got the time to do that, it would most probably take 4-5 shows if you're luck to get rid of them all. Pity about your collection though, did you have new for old insurance?

Been looking through the list and there ar a few intersting ioones in there, although most are "run of the mill". Mind you if it averaged out at £5 a camera. It comes to a tidy sum.

The one that stands out is the US Navy Aircraft Torpedo Camera you must tell us more about that one.

Oh yes the Halina Super mini 110 was my first camera.

Mike