Newbie biker

Mellie

Just a few words to say hi and all that, my name's Steve but I've been known as Mellie for the last 25 years by just about everybody except the landlord down my local pub who just flatly refuses to call me Mellie.

I've been a petrolhead since my year dot, built / modified loads of stuff over the years, but this is my first dip into military stuff. That kicked off last year when a mate of mine bought a shed of a WC52. It needed a fair amount of welding and I happen to be a fairly handy welder so got roped in. The restoration's coming along nicely.

My main interest though is motorcycles, and I'm getting more and more interested in the older stuff. Current project is a 1960's Velocette Venom that I'm building practically from scratch, that's also coming along nicely. Keeping it company in the garage is a 1960ish AJS 14CS, an old KTM 'crosser with a Meriden-Triumph engine in it, and a new KTM 990 Adventure.

BUT....there's a gap in the garage, and I have a yearning to fill it with a WW2 bike, hence joining the HMVF. I definitely want British, I definitely want girder forks, I'd prefer 500cc, and I'd prefer something with a little oomph. So I'm looking for a Norton 16H.....

The wartime 350 ohv bikes seem more powerfull than the 500 sv. I think the bsa m20 is nicer than the 16h. I have had most of the british wartime bikes the easiest to live with every day is the Matchless g3l

I have the BSA M20, thats a very nice comfortable bike to ride, I have a Harley Davidson WLC 750, thats not as nice as the M20 to ride and its far too heavy..... so dont breakdown. But the best and most reliable is my Royal Enfield WD. CO. 350 OHV. very nippy for the period. But I do agree with you, stick with the british stuff.:kissoncheek:

Just a few words to say hi and all that, my name's Steve but I've been known as Mellie for the last 25 years by just about everybody except the landlord down my local pub who just flatly refuses to call me Mellie.

I've been a petrolhead since my year dot, built / modified loads of stuff over the years, but this is my first dip into military stuff. That kicked off last year when a mate of mine bought a shed of a WC52. It needed a fair amount of welding and I happen to be a fairly handy welder so got roped in. The restoration's coming along nicely.

My main interest though is motorcycles, and I'm getting more and more interested in the older stuff. Current project is a 1960's Velocette Venom that I'm building practically from scratch, that's also coming along nicely. Keeping it company in the garage is a 1960ish AJS 14CS, an old KTM 'crosser with a Meriden-Triumph engine in it, and a new KTM 990 Adventure.

BUT....there's a gap in the garage, and I have a yearning to fill it with a WW2 bike, hence joining the HMVF. I definitely want British, I definitely want girder forks, I'd prefer 500cc, and I'd prefer something with a little oomph. So I'm looking for a Norton 16H.....

Hello!

I have a triumph TRW 500cc totally restored,but it has not run in 20+ years it was sitting in my father's office,basically I believe that it needs to be restarted by a knowledgeable person.One problem! it is in the south-west of France (Biarritz area) if you are interested or know someone who is let me know.Good luck with your project.

Thanks for all the advice and support. I really like the G3L, lovely looking bikes (ALL Matchless bikes are lovely in my eyes), but I dismissed that idea 'cos I want girders.

Robert - the TRW - again a lovely looking bike ( my bruv had one for a while) but it's not WW2.

I'm actually fairly committed to the idea of a 16H, but having said that, I haven't tried one for size yet. I did read somewhere they're very uncomfortable for tall people (like me). Any long- legged 16H riders out there?

Welcome to the forum - Congrats on the Venom - got to be the best single ever. As for WW2 'bikes, try a 3HW if you can - it really is very very good and can be made to go like stink, but it's rubbish off road - not much ground clearance see. Or what about a Matchless G3? Wonderful bike, and I would dearly love to add one to the collection - maybe one day....

Hi Steve.

My dad was a REME mechanic during WW2, attached to an infantry brigade in Italy. He wound up as NCO I/C the workshops in Trieste at the end of the war and, as such, had the pick of the available transport to swan about on. His favourite was the Triumph 3HW which was a 350cc ohv, with rigid frame and girder forks. He said it was lighter and nippier than anything else in the workshop. After de-mob he bought himself an unused, surplus WM20 from Pride & Clarkes for about £40. I asked him once why he bought the BSA rather than the Triumph he'd preferred and he said that the smaller bike was fine whilst someone else was picking up the tab, but if it was going to be his money buying and running it he felt the BSA was a more reliable proposition.

I have 1948 rigid/girders (civvy) M33 BSA that, when I first owned it had a WM20 engine fitted. Performance was best described as "gentle", with only 13bhp. It would do 50 mph all day long, and I did a long trip around the British isles on it, 3500 miles in 4 weeks without it missing a beat, but it really was a bit too slow for my liking so I rebuilt the ohv engine and refitted it. With some mild tuning it puts out a bit more than the factory original 25bhp and goes pretty well.

I think the BSA rides nicer than the 16H Norton, but that's just me. None of the options you've listed are going to be what I'd call cheap, so I'd strongly advise you to try and get a test ride before you commit yourself.

I'll be listing my M33 for sale in the coming weeks as I've used it less and less over the last few years. Hopefully it'll raise enough cash for me to buy myself a Bedford lorry of some description!

All the best, and good luck in your search, Glen.

Edited by GlenAnderson
Spelling