Help required with bearings please

Degsy

Question

Can Chrisg or anyone else please help with application and list price for some bearings which have come to a mate as part of a job lot.

SKF 2222 EK/C3

SKF 22220 EK

RHP 23218JW33

+11RP

Any help gratefully received. Thanks

16 answers to this question

Thank you both, sorry if I'm being a bit thick Clive but what do NCB and DMC stand for.

I'm pretty sure they are hub bearings and they are pretty big, if they can be identified they will be for sale at a very reasonable price to anyone on here.

Thank you both, sorry if I'm being a bit thick Clive but what do NCB and DMC stand for.

I'm pretty sure they are hub bearings and they are pretty big, if they can be identified they will be for sale at a very reasonable price to anyone on here.

Hi Degsy,

Suspect part of it relates to the country of origin of the part used. I think I am wright in saying that everything used in this country is

**** 99 *** **** so on so forth. In my Ferret parts book it misses out the **** 99 and starts with 806 5596 (99 806 5596).

Edited by ferrettkitt

Degsy, NCB is the National Codification Bureau identifier which in the case of 25 indicates Norway, as in SKF Norge A/S, Jerikov 14, Oslo.

DMC is the Domestic Management Code used to aid stores identification preceding the NSN (NATO Stock Number) it was derived from the old VAOS (Vocabulary of Ordnance Stores & Ammunition)

eg if the item was preceded by LV9/BOE it would have been Humber 1-Ton, or LV7/BD then Bedford.

If it was LV6MT7 it would be for bearings that are not unique to one type of B or C vehicle, but if it was LV46MT7 it would have been a bearing for certain A vehicles.

In more recent times the LV has been omitted eg 9/BOE

Andy what is listed as you mention is the "non-significant number" which within a given country is unique.

It only becomes universally unique with the NCB code to form the NIIN (NATO Item Identification Number) which omits the first 4 digits (NSC = NATO Supply Classification). Even without the NSC the item is universally unique. The "non-significant number" is only unique in the vocabulary of one specific country.

Although I much prefer to see a DMC used with the full NSN (NATO Stock Number) it can be argued that there is less tedium when looking in a parts list to identify items by the "non-significant number".

I'm afraid the only definite way is to look through the index of parts lists for various vehicles until you find the lucky number. This is of course easier if you have the NIIN or "non-significant number" than a full blown VAOS only based identification.

Although if it is a vehicle with a parts list that predates codification implementation ie 1965 then it will not be so easy to find. The part may be manufactured after 1965 & acquired a NSN that way or may have been repackaged & then re-identified by a NSN, although the earlier parts list may not be able to identify it by a NSN.

Having a DMC might have narrowed it down to a particular make rather than type or having a general one in LV6MT7 or LV46MT7 would have shown if it was more than one type of A or B/C vehicle.

I was hoping that somebody with access to manufacturers catalogues would be able to help.

I'll have to visit my local friendly bearing factor to see if he has old catalogues I can search.

I am suspecting perhaps Scammel as one of the boxes has Explorer printed on it but perhaps that is a bit too obvious.

2222EK is a self aligning ball bearing with a tapered bore

22220EK is a spherical roller bearing with a tapered bore

23218JW33 is a spherical roller bearing with parrall bore

not sure what the +11 bit is

I think that they are for some form of industrial plant

All,

These are indeed industrial application bearings, the SKF ones are of the Explorer series, high quality and about £100.

For the RHP (NSK) one, see below

23218EJW33 RHP Bearing Specification

Price: £989.38 (Excluding VAT at 20%)

Hope this helps.

Thanks Paul, you have confirmed Chris's thoughts. As regards price Chris has been able to come up with some costings. If these bearings which are brand new in their packaging are any use to anybody they are available at a very advantageous price other wise I'm afraid they'll end up in the scrap pile.

Thanks Paul, you have confirmed Chris's thoughts. As regards price Chris has been able to come up with some costings. If these bearings which are brand new in their packaging are any use to anybody they are available at a very advantageous price other wise I'm afraid they'll end up in the scrap pile.

Well, I had hoped the info might be of use. I have had previous experience of trying to identify bearings and now have half a dozen shortcuts on the computer to bearing manufacturers, suppliers, cross reference tables, after spending 3 entire days trying to identify a UK supplier for my Mitsubishi rear axle bearings (with no success!). They had to come from Japan in the end. As you said yourself, Explorer on the box was a bit too obvious for it to be from a Scammell!