GMC with .50 Cal Question

Joris

Originally posted by Steve

A friend has a GMC 353 with a .50 cal mounted above the cab ( see below ).

width=550 height=366http://www.wheelsandwings.co.uk/eventspics/2006/pickering/pickering_tn/nymr_tn10.jpg[/img]

He has just recently added an 'Explosives' sign on the front and a red flag.

My question is........would a truck carrying explosives have a .50 cal on it? is this a wise combination? and was this typical practice during the war?

I just feel uncomfortable about the idea of small bangs at the front and potential big bangs in the back!

Steve

Reply by M8Greyhound:

Hi Steve M36 Gun Ring /.50 Cal equipped GMCs were normally placed every 4th GMC in coloum to provide AA protection for the convoy.

I would doubt that a 50 cal equipped GMC would be carrying explosives...just my £1 worth

Regards

Lloyd

I'd go with Jack on this one. Obviously these "guys" are resourceful,........ they've found and had fitted a scrap M37 gun ring from a closed cab model, to give them that "edge" against air attack whilst hauling Explosives.

Clearly from a "special ops" lot with a 33**** hood number, and non standard bumper markings. .............But are they "ours" or "theirs". Friend or Foe ?