Unimog Radio Vehicle

Barrie

A friend of mine has just purchased an early 1960's Unimog Radio van. The vehicle is reasonably complete, inside and out, except for the actual radios.

Can anyone assist with tyes of radios fitted, GRC9, PRC or latterly SEM 35/25 etc.

Any pictures would be much appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation

Barrie

[barrie@griff98.fsnet.co.uk]

These radio Mogs were in three versions - ELINT, radio-relay and "steam radio"

ELINT - normally as a DF vehicle,

radio-relay - with the Siemens DFM12/800 (SR C70 in British service)

both these versions had a pneumatic mast mounted on the nearside (theirs- not ours!)

The equipment for radio Mogs varied according to specific role and what was in service at the time. There was also a version with a somewhat lower cabin fitted with the GRC3-8 (relatively rare)

Some were also used in other roles, with minimal modifications, ie as command vehicles with airfield crash/rescue units, and would therefore have mud-to-air sets fitted.

Hi Barrie,

I may be able to assist. Am into ex Bundeswehr radio vehicles and have the Teletype relay station Mog (funkfernschreib) - see a couple of pics here:

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?10794-Hi-There-from-Kidderminster-!&p=111616#post111616

From discussions with Steff in the distant past, I believe the vehicle is an FM version - though there were several sub-models again ! Have a number of different original radio fit manuals for the Mog so, PM in the first instance and will see what I can do. Be warned though, the full radio fit could be difficult to source these days as these vehicles were disposed of between 10 and 15 years ago and, few were maintained in their original form. Whilst the radios are relatively straightforward to acquire (at a price)......its the accessories that cause the difficulty !

Cheers

Steve 82

Edited by Steve 82

Nice looking moters hope to get mine to that standerd one day, found this vertion of the radio shelter on the web wound if any ones seen one befor ,apears to be a late 50s or early 60s build .the unimog club Gaggenau is a good sorce for finding parts, when i rebuilt my last mog they were able to supply some factory drawings for parts i needed to make.also unimog fourm de has a 404 section .

831.JPG

Barrie and other Radio Mog fans,

As mentioned above, the FM Mogs s came in a variety of flavours. Here is a particularly complete example of the FM – Telex broadcasting / re-broadcasting version based upon the SEM25:

Interior: http://kreuzer-thomas.privat.t-online.de/HomepageClassic01/mogbelad.htm

Exterior: http://kreuzer-thomas.privat.t-online.de/HomepageClassic01/unimog404s.htm

My original Bundeswehr manual copies describe in detail all components for the above and several other FM-radio-fits based upon the Unimog 404 – down to individual NATO stock codes. If you can identify the exact version, then there is a good chance I can suggest a parts shopping list .

Willem Noorloos of Holland has been mentioned earlier in the thread and, have been in touch with him for several years. However, as with a few other collectors, he uses the vehicle as a shack for all his military radio needs rather than as a strict rebuild of the original specification (please correct me if I am wrong). He may be able to help with radio fit details also.

Not seen many recent commencial sources of manuals however, few years ago, a chap by the name of Delissen (in Holland I think) used to re-gurgitate copies of old NATO signals manuals. Might be worth trying to track him down through the Dutch amateur miliraty radio society (SRS).

Hope the above helps

Cheers

Steve 82

Edited by Steve 82

Nice looking moters hope to get mine to that standerd one day, found this vertion of the radio shelter on the web wound if any ones seen one befor ,apears to be a late 50s or early 60s build .the unimog club Gaggenau is a good sorce for finding parts, when i rebuilt my last mog they were able to supply some factory drawings for parts i needed to make.also unimog fourm de has a 404 section .

NOT a German Unimog shelter, it could be something transferred from another chassis, and not necessarily a Mog.

Gents,

Looking at the above hard-bodied versions, I think we have to differentiate between German Heer (Army) body types and those used by the other branches of the Armed forces (Bundeswehr) and Civil Defence / Police. (lets not get started on the Dutch and Swiss varieties for the moment).

Remembering that all bodies (koffers) were produced by contractors as opposed to Mercedes, it is hardly suprising that differences regularly appeared - even in the same models.

However, regarding the above b/w images, the first does appear to be police / civil defence (shiny paintwork !) and, the second could be an early Heer or Luftwaffe version - will have to check.

I attach below an extract from an early 1960`s Unimog manual (Heer) illustrating the principal radio-bodied variations of the time (my personal vehicle is a Version 3.1). As you can see from the first image, there was at least one higher bodied version recognised by the Heer.

Cheers

Steve 82

mog404v11.jpg

mog404v31.jpg

Mog404v310-2.jpg

Mog404v34-2.jpg

Edited by Steve 82