Wessington Cabin's Comet

Pzkpfw-e

Read about this on the .pdf from Surviving Panzers, http://the.shadock.free.fr/Surviving_Comets.pdf

Googled Wessington, dropped them a line & got the following from Andrew Blackford, the vehicle's owner.

"The Comet Tank in question is mine and at the moment it's under going full restoration in our workshops by myself, I have owned it for about seven years

but only started work on it last year, I do have some history . It's war time number T335222 built at Leyland late1944 it has the 'A' type hull ,it's original engine number 41490 later re engined at 13 command workshops Aldershot 14/6/1956 to 41094. It's post war number 15ZR05 we think that after it was re engined it may have been transferred to other duties or moth balled not sure which? it was brought back on census and then finally released 1/7/66 which was quite late. I know it stood as a gate guard at the museum at Winchester for many years until it closed and was sold to a dealer from whom I brought it from."

I'm having no joy in uploading photos to here or my Pixa account, I'll try and add one another time!:mad:

The Wessington ex RHM exhibit was an Evasive Target Tank note the extra armour around the turret ring and on the hull door -note the No22 mg mount is also missing- also removed from the ETT Comets probably the reason why it was a late release from service Cents took over the ETT role at about that time -but a good number of Comets remained in service even into the 1970s especially at MVEE for example the Comres tank and the Bovington runner.

r

Steve

ex RHM Comet.jpg