Bell Aircobra found after 60 years missing

Great War truck

Thanks for posting this Tim,I have seen many stills of this aircraft and it really is a time capsule. I am glad it appears it will be conserved rather than "restored",it's taken long enough but at least some museums are starting to realise these aircraft and vehicles which are found perfectly preserved are far more important for future generations if they are conserved rather than the "make it work/fly at all costs" attitude which has prevailed in the past.

I still feel it's rather a shame what has happened to "Dottie May" the P-47D which was recovered from a lake in Austria in 2005 and is now under restoration to fly,even though those carrying out the work are trying to keep as much of the original parts and finish as possible something will still be lost which,if conserved rather then restored,would have been retained.

Edited by M.Rimmer

Great find, Tim!

I am glad it appears it will be conserved rather than "restored",it's taken long enough but at least some museums are starting to realise these aircraft and vehicles which are found perfectly preserved are far more important for future generations if they are conserved rather than the "make it work/fly at all costs" attitude which has prevailed in the past.

I wholehartedly agree!

:goodidea:

There is the remains of a related type probably a P63 Kingcobra in the Russian far east,Probably a Soviet era range target at

http://a-meridian.ru/archives/2753

from a link within a link posted by Pzkfw-e in the thread T54 Turret bunker as the nose is missing without the prop it is difficult to id, but the shape of the underwing airscoops seem to point to a standard P63 rather than a P63A or a P39 -most of which served in Europe.

Steve

ArtistsRifles

Loved the bit where the ladies who built them had written their names and addresses inside some of the panels....

Israeli girl soldiers who packed parachutes used to pencil there name on a scrap of paper and place it into a little pocket on the harness- not that anyone could complain if it failed:wow: Don't know if it still happens.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Just a pic out my files the Duxford example photographed back in the 1980s,

I was under the impression that this air plane was a P63 Kingcobra rather than a P39 Airacobra as I was under the impression that only P63 had the four blade prop, but according to the wiki survivors file it's a P39Q Airacobra:confused: but then I'm more tank man.:undecided: but enjoy the pic anyway -I've finally managed to get the new computer to allow me to upload.

Steve

img181a.jpg

You are right this is a P-63, larger, squarer fin is the immediate give away, this aircraft was the first of the 2 that the fighter collection at duxford owned, sadly both were later lost in seperate fatal accidents, they did have a P-39 a few years ago but this has been sold back to the us.