Copped Hall, Camberley, Surrey

ajmac

I was doing a bit of research about Vivian Loyd and on the company note paper it gives the factory and office address, the office address is also his house and is the title of this message. I had a look for the factory and it looks to be still standing, in Bridge Road, Camberley, at least there is a sizable 1930s set of building on the rather short road.

The house only seems to apppear as a road name in a housing estate so I presume it was knocked down in the 70's / 80's looking at the style of houses. Can anyone confirm if it was destroyed, or if it remains in a corner of the estate? I'd like to see a old photo of it too if possible. Does anyone live near?

I'm originally from Camberley, used to live not far from Copped Hall, the house was demolished to make way for the housing development and the M3 motorway which now disects the former estate, the road names are the only evidence now.

Last time I passed bridge road the factory was still evident, you could see it from the railway bridge on frimley road, but there has been a lot of redevelopment since in the area.

The Lloyd family moved to Sunningdale, many years ago my brother met Vivians son who was rebuilding a carrier and was fitting a ford diesel engine into it. Late 60's or early70's I bought a 1950's Jeep station wagon, quite rare even then, it used to belong to Vivian Lioyd, it had his name in the log book.

Sir John Carden used to live nearby to Copped Hall in the Chobham road, I believe his former house is still there where he apparently built some of his early protypes in the garage and tested them on adjacent military land

Edited by Nick Johns

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, as a youngster in the 50s I was friendly with the Loyds and can remember that the house was surrounded by crates of surplus carrier parts. Vivian Graham Loyd had two sons, the younger one is nearing 60, but his elder brother died some years back.

When Loyd moved to Sunningdale he took with him a carrier which his son and myself used to drive around the farm.