What finish should a WW2 brass lubrication plate have?

Ivor Ramsden

Question

Our two Morris vehicles have got brass plates with lubrication instructions and gearbox instructions etc riveted onto the gearbox cover. What would their original finish have been? Plain brass? Plated? The chassis number plates under the bonnet were both zinc(?) plated originally but would the others be the same?

2 answers to this question

Our two Morris vehicles have got brass plates with lubrication instructions and gearbox instructions etc riveted onto the gearbox cover. What would their original finish have been? Plain brass? Plated? The chassis number plates under the bonnet were both zinc(?) plated originally but would the others be the same?

Hi Ivor,

The chasis plate in my footwell drivers side is plain brass with no infill colours at all. Contract plate on dash ditto.

As for the lub charts and info on the engine/gearbox cover they are plain brass but had trace elements of red paint in the lettering of the PTO warning plate.

It had been rescued from a barn prior to me and Mr deadman owning it so i cannot say catagorically that the red paint was original.

I have wondered myself if the lube chart had coloured infill to the engraving in the same manner as the manuals ( they have black and red lines etc iirc correctly)

Lucky man to have enough left to consider colour infill, the lube plate i have is so faint now its almost unreadable (too much MT polishing perhaps)

Regards

Tim

Hi Ivor,

The chasis plate in my footwell drivers side is plain brass with no infill colours at all. Contract plate on dash ditto.

As for the lub charts and info on the engine/gearbox cover they are plain brass but had trace elements of red paint in the lettering of the PTO warning plate.

It had been rescued from a barn prior to me and Mr deadman owning it so i cannot say catagorically that the red paint was original.

I have wondered myself if the lube chart had coloured infill to the engraving in the same manner as the manuals ( they have black and red lines etc iirc correctly)

Lucky man to have enough left to consider colour infill, the lube plate i have is so faint now its almost unreadable (too much MT polishing perhaps)

Regards

Tim

Hi Guys ,

Yes Tim , you are right about the PTO warning plate as this does have a red infill in the engraving - This is definitely the case on both of my CS8's - I don't think the lube chart has ever had any infill in it and is just made of polished brass plate - I don't think there is any evidence of any infill on this - I still need one of these for my 1939 CS8 , If anyone has a spare or knows anyone who can engrave one up please let me know .

The Body and Cab plates are cast brass items but I think that the chassis plate in the passengers footwell have had black infill with just numbers stamped in the respective positions if I remember correctly .

Hope this helps:coffee: