Ferret queries

Ken Wales

Question

These Forums are great I had one query re aerial mounts on my Ferret which has the standard mount on the rear left and the there is a blanking plate over the one on the front right but there are two additional ones located rear left and front right which have a cover over and I understand from the post below are:

"The official name of that size of connector is a 'type C' connector. It is much larger than the BNC type. Generally they are for VHF as when using a 'pineapple' on a mast to increase the vehicles std Clansman 353 range. But they can also be used to feed ti an HF set from a Di-pole or end feed as long as the necessary steps are taken to reduce signal leakage."

I have another query however relating to the two red taps which are connected to the CO2 cylinder. In all the photos of Ferrets I have seen these do not seem to be there. Are they non-standard and why would they have been fitted externally to a fighting vehicle?

Picture1: Tap on turret right rear

Picture 2: Left rear showing both aerial bases.

Picture 3: Front right, one aerial fitting, blanking plate and tap.

Ken

CO2 tap.jpg

Aerial Mounts.jpg

Aerial & CO2 tap.jpg

2 answers to this question

The red taps r fine and as they should be, I wouldn't have thought that they would be bright red though. Nice bright colour under camouflage a no no

Why place the taps externally for the same reason that battery cut off's r fitted externally some one else can switch the extinguishers on rather than the crew having frying tonight moment locked inside.

The front aerial mount with the blanking plate should have an antenna base in its place.

Twas I that painted those handles red. I did this beacause many of the 70 to 80 Ferrets that I have had, most comimg direct from Ludgershall, had handles painted thus. With reference to 'a nice bright colour under camouflage a no no' why was it that the fire extinguisher rubber cover on the side of a 432 was painted red ? A 6" square no less and call signs in white and yellow.

BTW the enemy would have to be pretty close to see a tiny bit of red on a vehicle.....