B Card for Lightweight arrived from RLC Museum, Deepcut

Rover8FFR

Well at long last a copy of the record card arrived today from Deepcut.

My winterised 24v FFR Lightweight did move around a little but essentially was always with the Royal Marines.

The regiment items are clear. However there are a couple of items I would seek assistance from the more astute of my fellow forum members. So I can understand if it went anywhere special?? :cool2:

I think it has spent time in Northern Ireland early on in its career?? Also I note it was with 3 Cdo at the time of the Falklands, which does beg the question was it there with their MT ;)???

IMAG0466.jpg

Edited by Rover8FFR

Mr Elliott has advised that my full on military landrover lightweight at some stage early on in its life was with the Ulster Defence Regiment, which sounds interersting to say the least. They weren't Army were they?????

Also as the vehicle was with 3 Commando in 1983 until being struck off in 1991 I am keen to know if this little landy went to the Falklands with 3 Commando.

The regiments and dates are spot on, but how can that be proved??

is it fair to assume that the Regt took their entire MT with them, as this is normally the case.

Would this however be recorded in some way on the record card? Anyone help?

Ulster Defence Regiment, which sounds interersting to say the least. They weren't Army were they?????

The UDR was formed on 1 April 1970 & at its height was the largest single regiment in the British Army with a strength around 6,500.

So it was a specific Army Regiment? Didn't know that Clive! Did they have a pukka cap badge and all the rest?

I thought it was a spin off from the Police arm in NI as a special tactics unit or the like.

Interested to know more about UDR as a regiment given the above miss-conception

Thats an interesting intro to the UDR and quite poignant in the history of the NI conflict I would assume.

I am guessing that the lightweight has had a chequered life, but has almost certainly been in the thick of it as some point, which does add to the credentials that it has seen some bother whether it be nearer of farer fron home.

Thanks for the link. Ironic that Pig is not NI related but LTWT is!

Thanks Clive. I note 3 consecutive entries for 41 Cdo. Does this relate to being in different places with the same Regt?

There are lots of numbers and abreviations that I am not 100% aware of the meaning for! Hence all the idiot questions and asks for assistance from the forum!

I am guessing with the entries around NI that it spent quite some time over there, albeit the first question above referring to 41 Cdo may contradict that if the 41Cdo records are for different places!

I don't know all these answers