1940's

Karoshi

Hi I'm Madeleine, Colins (352) daughter, we went to Beltring last year and camped for the week. I slept in a 12 x 12 with a friend and dad slept in the Deuce. Lots of people were wearing 1940's outfits and on the Saturday I dressed up too.

In the day I dressed as a factory worker, I did my hair, my lips, and wore a onepiece blue working suit and red spotted head scarf. The heavy boots were good for walking around the show, but were tiring. Dad says the suit was called a Boiler suit or Siren suit.

In the evening I wore a black dress and stockings with seams, and some period style shoes. Mum taught me to wear a Hair Net and it felt rather odd. Several other girls dressed up too and we had a great time driving around in dads jeep, getting whistles from the GI's!!

dscf0052_large.jpg

I'm going again next year!

Maddy

Hello Madeleine, Nice to hear from you! I am Bridie, Jacks daughter and i have just recently turned 15. I have also just got in to the whole dressing up thing, and i am glad to here from another girl like minded! :D But after my dad has just bought a military veichle, we have been going to all these events too, so i am also thinking about dressing up 40's style.

Do you have any theme i could go as because i dont have a clue?!

Well if you get whisled my hunky army GI's im game!!!!! :lol: count me in!

Nice hearing from you! And hope to meet you soon!

Bridie ~x~

I should have said, I'm the one on the left. The girl in the middle is Wendy from California, she was really nice, and the girl on the right is my school friend that I shared the tent with.

Wendy has a jeep, and came especially for the Beltring show, KEEN eh !

Maddy

Hopefully I will be able to log on in my own name soon, dads trying to sort it out right now.

I have some great web sites to give you ideas about 40's get ups, but dads looking to get some stuff to start a shop! That would be really cool.

The stuff at the shows is really exspensive as it all old and genuine, repro stuff is not easy to get here, but dads got a contact. My Siren suit outfit cost £10. But I did pinch mums headscarf.

I had lots of trouble getting a red lipstick, you know a BRIGHT RED lipstick, that looked correct. Mum also taught me to put lines up the backs of my legs 'cos stockings had seams then. I did it with eye liner.

I hope Wendy comes again next year, she was good to talk too. Will you be going to Beltring in 2006? is your dad taking his lorry and camping?. We are.

Well i have my own account but my dads always logged in!! he he.

yeah send them over to me it will be great to have a look at! Wow lucky you maybe you will be able to have all your cloths for free!!!

Well your outfit was rather cheap, as i agree many of these uniforms that arnt original are damnd exspensive! :x

Ha red lipstick! I know it is quite hard as these days there are soo many tones but i got this really nice one from "boots" but it was just a little to glossy for ww2! As for the stockings if you go to auctions you can pick things up like that rather cheaply!

Well i hope we will be! i have just asked my dad and he said hes hopefully going! But if we do yes we will be camping in the back!

Just out of curiosity, is there a few american soldiers dressed up as well? If so tell me and i will be staight down!! he he! :P

Bridie ~x~

Yup, I now have my own log-in so I wont get confused with dads stuff.

Thanks to Berni we're going to get a corner to ourselves, so maybe we can get some dress ideas from there. I guess there must be lots of other wives and girlfriends already with 40's civvy gear.

Anyone out there with some (cheap) ideas for day wear and evening wear?

Maddy

On another thread M8Greyhound posted:

M8greyhound Yes my partner Michelle would go for that also....as she re enacts US Field Nurse WW2.........

perhaps LLoyd could ask her to give us some more info, or even a photo.

be a great topic for the Ladies Section.

Bridie why is this section thread under WEAPONS/ACCESSORIES ? Should we ask to get it moved to UNIFORMS & CLOTHING?

Maddy